Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

My favorite style of vending machine was the chest style, where you lift the lid and the bottle are suspended by the neck. I think they were also the style most prone to jamming, though, and eating your money!
I do remember those! I didn't care what style it was, I just always thought ice cold pop in a bottle tasted better. I didn't like it when they came out with cans and plastic bottles. The planet doesn't like it much, either, although it's a lot easier to get people to recycle the cans than it is the plastic bottles.

If you're getting a French fry cutter, don't get the one in the 3rd pic. It's flimsy & won't work half the time!!
Looks can be so deceiving, it's easy to assume that the metal one would be sturdier and more reliable than the plastic one. You own both?

Where do you keep your abundance of gadgets? Do you have a spare bedroom dedicated to your "stuff"? I know it can't all fit in your kitchen!

I went to South Carolina in November and had a Moon Pie. I hadn't eaten one in 45 years. It wasn't like I remembered. I didn't eat much of it before chucking it into the trash bin.

Moon Pies are originally from Tennessee. It's a round chocolate-covered graham cracker cookie with marshmallow filling. I used to love them.

Welcome to MoonPie Online | MoonPie
View attachment 95634
Okay, just to be sure, I ate a Moon Pie today (or 3 bites anyway). I think when I was a kid I was starving hungry all the time. I can't explain why I would have liked these things otherwise.

Okay, just to be sure, I ate a Moon Pie today (or 3 bites anyway). I think when I was a kid I was starving hungry all the time. I can't explain why I would have liked these things otherwise.

It sounds rather like a Wagon Wheel which is still on sale in the UK now (although they seem to have got smaller). I think they are particularly popular in Australia.

Wagon Wheels - Wikipedia

Yeah, I tried one in my mid 20s. Even back then didn't know why I liked them as a little kid.

When I arrived at the train station in Denver when I was in college I used to have breakfast at a diner just up the block. Two eggs, 2 strips of bacon, hash browns and coffee for 65 cents. I remember those meals fondly. I wonder if that diner is still there and what they charge today.

Food in the UK in the 80’s means there’s not a lot to miss 😂 Maybe the classic prawn cocktail, steak Diane, Black Forest gateaux followed by a liqueur coffee combo. Done well that was worth eating. Of course it was mostly massacred 😆

I miss the old name for some sweets, opal fruits (made to make your mouth water 😉), Marathon bar and I’ve still not forgiven walkers for switching the colours of cheese n onion and salt n vinegar crisps around 😅

I also miss what Little Caesar’s was like in the late-80’s/early-90’s:

View: https://youtu.be/krNe86lw-dg

You got two (admittedly low-quality) pizzas, in a long cardboard sleeve, for one price.

I paid my way through college by working at Little Caesar's. No, I didn't get paid $50/hour...I made minimum wage, which was $3.35 back then. It cost $45.75 per credit hour in 1984 to attend Eastern Michigan University; it's $608 per credit hour today. That means I paid $135 for a standard 3-credit class, vs $1824 for that same class today.

This is relatively cheap as Universities go these days. At the University of Michigan, the average annual fee for tuition is $58,386.38.

I tried all sorts of retro stuff when I was in the UK. No spaghetti/ravioli in a tin, of course, and no Vesta curries; mostly chocolates, biscuits, sweets. Anything "Cadbury's" was absolutely gross. Far too much sugar, far too little chocolate, and the chocolate that was there must have been about 10% cacao. Thank you, corporate vultures 👹
I tried Milky Bar and that was great. I bought McVitie's Digestive - great. I tried Bisto Gravy - meuh - but I hadn't had gravy in over 45 years.

I’ve still not forgiven walkers for switching the colours of cheese n onion and salt n vinegar crisps around 😅
Yeah! Why on earth did they do that? When I was in the UK last year, I found it very confusing. Kept doing double takes, thinking I'd got Cheese & Onion instead of S & V!

Well, I think they have the colours the wrong way round too but I also know they never changed them:

We’re often asked this! Our Salt & Vinegar and Cheese & Onion flavour crisps packs have always been the colours they are today. Contrary to popular belief, we’ve never swapped the colours around, not even temporarily. We’ve no plans to change these designs, as they’re signature to our brand.

Walkers | FAQs | Brands & Flavours.

Back
Top Bottom