Anyone play an instrument?

I took piano lessons for years and years, went as far as my teacher could take me. Then, decided I wanted an organ so parents got that for me. Dabbled for 2-3 years, then lost interest. I couldn't sit down and play the piano now.

Would like to learn the harp, but that supposedly is worse on your finger tips than guitar/banjo strings, and I work with my fingers, so that isn't going to happen as long as I'm still working.

I took piano lessons for years and years, went as far as my teacher could take me. Then, decided I wanted an organ so parents got that for me. Dabbled for 2-3 years, then lost interest. I couldn't sit down and play the piano now.

Would like to learn the harp, but that supposedly is worse on your finger tips than guitar/banjo strings, and I work with my fingers, so that isn't going to happen as long as I'm still working.
You might try a hammered dulcimer - similar sound and easy on the fingers.

View: https://youtu.be/alcRdeJ5kks

The only “instrument” I have ever played was my voice - if we can consider voice as an instrument (but I think it is). In my 20s I sang in a female rock/soul band.
I sometimes still sing but just for fun or under the shower.
My voice has changed during years of course, no more trained like years ago, yet sometimes I can still hit the right notes. The magic of shower..

Forgot how to read music and I certainly don't remember any of the pieces I had memorized. I could probably pick it back up fairly quickly if i.wanted because I still have the finger dexterity.
If you ever decide to get back to piano, there are free sheet where it is decyphered and all written on it...surely you could do Happy Bday...it is vitalto restart with a level way way lower than your last one.
Or, start fresh with harp...👍😊

I played classical guitar in my teens and twenties and I was a bit fanatical to say the least. Anyway life got in the way, sold my prized possession and bought a Yamaha but eventually it just collected dust and haven't played for a very long time, periodically I'd pick it up and realize I'd forgotten most of the music. Gave away my sheet music to someone I knew back then as well, that I didn't realize until yesterday was a big no no. Anyway I went and picked up my new cartridge for my turntable yesterday and also picked up a set of strings for the Yamaha. I asked where's the sheet music for classical guitar, the guy looked at me and said, sheet music, we don't sell sheet music, just books. Anyway I'm going to attempt to grow a few calluses.

I played classical guitar in my teens and twenties and I was a bit fanatical to say the least. Anyway life got in the way, sold my prized possession and bought a Yamaha but eventually it just collected dust and haven't played for a very long time, periodically I'd pick it up and realize I'd forgotten most of the music. Gave away my sheet music to someone I knew back then as well, that I didn't realize until yesterday was a big no no. Anyway I went and picked up my new cartridge for my turntable yesterday and also picked up a set of strings for the Yamaha. I asked where's the sheet music for classical guitar, the guy looked at me and said, sheet music, we don't sell sheet music, just books. Anyway I'm going to attempt to grow a few calluses.

I used to play classical guitar and got my sheet music online from Guitar Solo in San Francisco. I just checked and they still exist, as well as several other places that sell sheet music for all sorts of instruments and combinations thereof. San Francisco apparently has a lot of support for sheet music. I would think that Boston would too, as they have some fine music academic resources there.

My hands have long since gotten shaky and I don't play guitar anymore. I still have two guitars, but they remain in their cases.

I used to play classical guitar and got my sheet music online from Guitar Solo in San Francisco. I just checked and they still exist, as well as several other places that sell sheet music for all sorts of instruments and combinations thereof. San Francisco apparently has a lot of support for sheet music. I would think that Boston would too, as they have some fine music academic resources there.

My hands have long since gotten shaky and I don't play guitar anymore. I still have two guitars, but they remain in their cases.
Thanks for the heads up. I have looked on line and it's not going to be a problem. The one pain in the butt aspect of sheet music I remember was getting a decent production. There's sheet music and then there's sheet music if you know what I mean. I'll have to relearn how to read music for sure but hopefully I can catch on without too much frustration.

I attempted to teach myself guitar in college, learned a few songs, but never got to the point where I could play from sheet music (I used tabs) nor did I get to the point where I could play and sing along. Very frustrating. I kept telling myself I would just need to get the right guitar to keep my level of interest up... which is how I ended up with 3 guitars I cannot play now collecting dust.
Even worse, I only ever bought cheap/used guitars, so I can't even make decent $$$ selling them to recycle the funds for my other hobbies :roflmao:

I've had opera singing classes for 8 years because I wanted to be able to sing like this lady:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNg2Dh6gPkw

I can gladly report that I can still sing quite similar to that. I've even auditioned for the conservatory when I was young, and they were open to taking me because I was talented. However, I couldn't play piano and my father wasn't willing to pay for extra training because 'there are no singers in our familly'.
And due to my health issues now, singing in a band is no longer an option. I still do sing for fun though, I know a crazy amount of songs.

I used to have an electric Stratocaster copy when in college but on graduation I flew to California and never played again.

Fast forward a quarter of a century and I bought a used acoustic/electric and a used Fender.

Haven't played either for more than five minutes since...

Whyyyyyy? Weird eh
I know that feeling sooo well!
I plan to get wall-mounts for them in my office so they can stare at me and make me guilty enough to start again.

Back
Top Bottom