Recipe Apple Strudel with Burnt Carmel Ice Cream

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:51 PM
Ingredients
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
6 Granny Smith apples (about 3 pounds), peeled, cored, chopped (can sub other apples)
1/2 cup plus 11 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted; 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, 1 cup finely chopped
6 (17x13-inch) sheets phyllo pastry or twelve 14x9-inch sheets phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
Powdered sugar

Directions
Strudel
Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Add raisins and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts. Spread apple mixture in rimmed baking sheet; cool.

Line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter. Transfer 1 large phyllo sheet to baking sheet (if using small phyllo, place 2 sheets of phyllo on baking sheet, overlapping slightly). Brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts. Repeat with 4 more large phyllo sheets (or 8 more small sheets), melted butter, sugar, and walnuts. Top with remaining phyllo sheet; brush with butter.

Spoon cooled apple mixture lengthwise down phyllo, starting 3 inches in from 1 long side and leaving 2-inch border at short sides. Using parchment paper as aid, roll up strudel lengthwise. Place strudel, seam side down, on parchment. Tuck in ends to enclose filling. Brush strudel with butter; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Chill.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake strudel until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Using serrated knife, cut into 8 slices. Sprinkle strudel with powdered sugar and serve with Burnt caramel ice cream.

Burnt caramel ice cream
Ingredients
1 cup sugar, divided
3 tablespoons water
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Pinch of salt
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
6 large egg yolks

Directions
Stir 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar melts. Increase heat to high and boil without stirring until mixture turns dark amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush, about 7 minutes. Immediately add milk (mixture will bubble vigorously). Add cream and salt. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring mixture to boil, stirring to dissolve any caramel bits. Let cool 10 minutes. Whisk yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan. Stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and candy thermometer registers 180°F, about 6 minutes (do not boil). Strain custard into medium bowl. Cover and chill until cold, at least 4 hours. DO AHEAD Custard can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container; cover and freeze. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 days ahead. Keep frozen.

This recipe sounds very delicious. I'm trying to visualize what you are doing with the dough. I found this photo online. Is this what you mean or something else?

howtomakeapplestrudel.jpg

This recipe sounds very delicious. I'm trying to visualize what you are doing with the dough. I found this photo online. Is this what you mean or something else?

That's puff pastry I think not phyllo. A strudel is normally rolled up rather than plaited. It would probably look more like this:

1603310084672.png

Mind you - the plait trick with puff pastry in the photo you posted is a good one. I've done it before I think (somewhere?). Its easier to do than it looks.

Actually, for me, that looks easier than trying to get randomly shaped apple pieces wrapped inside a dough blanket. :eek: ;-)

Back
Top Bottom