1 small red pepper, finely chopped
1-2 tsps brown sugar
2-3 tbsps rice wine vinegar
1 -2 tbsps sesame oil
1-2 tsps soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
Salt to taste

Method
  • In a small bowl, mix together the minced ginger, garlic and chiles with the brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil,soy and fish sauce. Whisk together until the sugar dissolves.
  • Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and add the dressing. Mix together thoroughly.
  • Taste for salt, sweet, spicy, acid, umami. You want to obtain a good balance between each of the 5 elements: this will depend on your particular taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Beautiful, and definitely better than the gloppy, bland coleslaw normally served at picnics and deli counters in the States. I’m going to make this with brussels sprouts. Thank you for the advice to not overdo the fish sauce, because it’s very likely I would.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. I started using fish sauce only about 15 years ago. When I first followed a recipe to the T, it was great.
Next time, I thought " Yes - I really like this stuff - let´s go for more".
Big mistake.
It´s one of those ingredients like asafoetida, truffle oil and, yes, marmite... a little is good, a lot is an overdose.-

This is great! I am trying to imagine the freshness it emanates, and while reading this:the minced ginger, garlic and chiles with the brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil,soy and fish sauce, my mouth started watering.
So the sesame oil provides enough of the fat to make up for a moist and lubricated coleslaw? i actually like the fact it has no mayo. it must be fantastic alongside any meat...is there a meat or meat dish of your preference to go with this?

Back
Top Bottom