350 g mixed peppers, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
300 g tomatoes, chopped
50 g fresh breadcrumbs
50 g mature Cheddar cheese
1 tbsp fresh parsley or mixed herbs, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

1. Place the aubergine and half the oil in an ovenproof dish, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 for 10-15 minutes until the aubergine is just starting to colour.
2. Add the onion, tomatoes, peppers, garlic and the remaining oil, with 2-3 tbsp water, and stir well.
3. Cover and bake for a further 20 minutes until the aubergine is soft .and the mixture juicy.
4. Add the herbs, salt and pepper to the vegetables, and stir. Then sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar, and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.

350 g mixed peppers, sliced
This allows the flexibility to range anywhere from mild to a frightening. Where did yours fit in the spiciness scale? I'm thinking I'd use a combination of Poblano, Hungarian pepper, and serrano, and maybe a throw in a habanero to clear my sinuses out. :heat:

This allows the flexibility to range anywhere from mild to a frightening. Where did yours fit in the spiciness scale? I'm thinking I'd use a combination of Poblano, Hungarian pepper, and serrano, and maybe a throw in a habanero to clear my sinuses out. :heat:
I just used ordinary sweet peppers to try it out, but the original recipe turned out almost to be a disaster with regard to the cooking time, and ended up being put in the microwave for a few minutes. For the second attempt I allowed longer cooking times and it turned out much better, and I used fresh ingredients instead of the tinned and frozen stuff quoted in the original recipe. It is that second attempt that is posted above.
It never actually occurred to me to use some chillies in it as well, but I don't see why that shouldn't work.

Back
Top Bottom