Recipe Aubergine, Potato and Feta Bake

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:40 PM
This is quite a versatile bake - you could add anchovies and leave out the feta, for example. Or you could use different cheeses. You could even add layers of (cooked) minced beef or lamb. You could use fresh tomatoes instead of tinned. I served it as a main course with a green salad. But it could be served as a side dish. I took photos 'before' and 'after' cooking as I thought it looked so pretty when I'd assembled it and wanted to make a record of it. As it turns out, the 'after' pictures are virtually indistinguishable from the 'before'! I'll leave you to guess which photos are which!

IMGP1734.jpg

Photographed in natural light

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3 as a main)
2 aubergines
Olive oil
2/3rds of a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
125 g feta crumbled
A handful of grated mozzarella (the type sold for pizzas)
1 Romano pepper
1 large baking potato

Method
  • Heat the oven to 180 C.
  • Cut the aubergine lengthwise into 1cm thick slices. Arrange the slices on a non-stick baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil and bake for 20-25 mins until the slices are soft and beginning to brown
  • While the aubergine is cooking, slice the Romano pepper into strips and discard the seeds. Place the strips, skin side up under a medium hot grill until the skin is blackened and the flesh is soft. Allow to cool.
  • Microwave the baking potato for 10 minutes (or until cooked through). Once cool enough to handle, remove the papery skin and slice the potato into 1 cm rounds.
  • Remove the blackened skin from the pepper (it doesn’t matter if some pieces remain).
  • Place a layer of aubergine slices in the bottom of a baking dish, followed by 1/3rd of the tin of tomatoes. Scatter half the feta over the cheese and then add the potatoes in a layer.
  • Add another 1/3rd of the tin of chopped tomatoes and scatter the remaining feta and the mozzarella over. Arrange the remaining aubergine slices and pepper strips across the top.
  • Drizzle with olive oil, cover the dish with foil and bake at 180C for 25 minutes.
IMGP1732.jpg

IMGP1733.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom