1 bay leaf
3 cups water

The next day:
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano

Directions
Split the peppers (remove seeds and stems if you like), then place them in a large container, along with the carrots, celery, cauliflower, and cucumber.

In a jug or large measuring container, mix together the salt, peppercorns, seeds, and bay leaf, then add the water and stir until the salt is dissolved.

Pour the brine over the vegetables, give it a good stir, then place a plate on top to hold the vegetables down, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, drain the vegetables, and remove the peppercorns, seeds, and bay leaf (as best you can). Pack the vegetables into a 1-quart lidded jar.

In a measuring cup or large jar, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, water, and oregano and stir or shake to incorporate as thoroughly as possible. Pour over the vegetables in the jar, close/screw on the lid, gently shake, and refrigerate overnight before consuming.

Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.

Based on a similar recipe from Food & Wine, though I modified both the ingredients and the method considerably.

I love pickles in any shape or form. This looks very good and pretty. Is that a red pepper lurking on top in photo 2?

It is probably a different level of ripeness. Jalapeño peppers turn red eventually, as do green bell peppers.

CD

For some reason, maybe its 'cos bananas are yellow, I imagined all banana peppers were yellow!
They start out pale green, then they get yellow, then sort of orange, then red, with blends in between.

The greenish-yellowish ones can have a mild heat to them, but they’re mainly sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom