Recipe Baked Peppers with Confit Swede and Feta

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:33 AM
This is adapted from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi from his book Plenty More. He uses goat's cheese and adds a few other ingredients. This is a simplified version using feta for a salty tang combined the earthy sweetness of the swede (rutabaga). I would serve one or two per person as a starter with some crusty bread. You can cook well in advance and then reheat (which was what I did). Here's how it turned out:

DSCF2866.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light augmented by LED

Ingredients:

Red and yellow peppers.
Swede (rutabaga) peeled and cut into 1cm cubes.
Enough melted butter to just cover the swede pieces.
Sprigs of thyme.
Feta cheese cut into 1cm cubes
Olive oil.
Toasted pine nuts (optional)

Method
  • Heat oven to 200C.
  • Cut the peppers in half leaving the stalks on. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place cut-side up on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until peppers are charred around the edge.
  • Turn oven down to 170C, cover them loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes more or until peppers are soft.
  • Add swede (rutabaga) to the melted butter. Cook over very gentle heat, regularly spooning butter over the swede so it cooks evenly, for about 40 minutes until the swede is cooked through and slightly golden in places.
  • Pile the cooked swede (rutabaga) and feta pieces into the peppers. Scatter with sprigs of thyme and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Bake for 15 minutes. Drizzle over a little more olive oil before serving and scatter with some fresh thyme sprigs and toasted pine nuts (optional).
DSCF2863.jpg

This recipe has some very interesting combinations and very different from any stuff peppers that I have ever made. I have never had Swede (rutabaga) before but I do see it at the local market here. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Here we go again and she scores. @morning glory has the winner been announced yet? Would this be your third crown now:happy:. I am not trying to sway the Judge one way or the other.:giggle: I will check the Challenge and see if @L_B picked a winner.

These look yummy, I would have to sub out the feta though (I'm just not a feta fan!) but other than that it's right up my alley. Love the extra thyme sprigs too -- a lovely decorative touch!
The original recipe used goats cheese. But you could use small cubes of blue cheese. You need a cheese which won't completely melt when cooked.

Back
Top Bottom