Recipe Balsamic Onion and Camembert Puff Pastry Parcels

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:56 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So this took some finding. It is a recipe we used to make before I became allergic to a dairy protein. After that we stopped making it because the camembert was key to the recipe. Advance a decade and vegan camembert is now on the market and pretty good. You'll need to find one with that contains an oil such as coconut oil because it won't melt otherwise and you do need it to soften, if not melt. You could consider using a make in the saucepan melted vegan mozzarella if you can't find or afford a vegan camembert.

So the source of this recipe is likely the old BBC Vegetarian Good Food magazine that stopped being published in the January 2000. It ran from 1992. I can't tell you which edition this recipe was in because I'm pretty certain we had a subscription from 1994 until the last edition and the scanned recipe doesn't have the bottom of the page scanned which always had the edition and date on it.

I'm using a scanned copy because back in 2011 my husband and I packed life up and went off to cycle around the world and one of the things we did was to scan in all of the recipes we wanted to keep and then got rid of our home made recipe books.

Originally this recipe was a meal cotton for someone called Andrew and simply called "Onion Tarts".

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegan butter (30g) ideally cultured or European vegan butter
2 very large Spanish onions, halved
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
4 additional sprigs of fresh thyme
2-4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 sheets of puff pastry
150-160g vegan camembert, cut into 4 wedges
1 egg or egg replacement for binding and glaze (water or milk can be substituted)

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C
  2. Melt the oil and butter in a large casserole bowl (ensure it has a lid) and place the onions, cut side down, into the bowl. Cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven for 15 minutes until the onions are well soft.
  3. Remove the lid, season well and carefully turn the onion halves over. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes without the lid, until the onions start to go golden.
  4. Remove from the oven, carefully turn the onions back over and add the chopped thyme and balsamic vinegar (balsamic glaze will work if thinned with a touch of white vinegar). Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before the next step.
  5. In the meantime, prepare the puff pastry sheets (or roll it out if needed) and cut to size (15-17.5cm square depending on the size of the onions).
  6. Place an onion half cut side up in the center of one of the squares. Add a little extra balsamic glaze or vinegar (or the excess from the cooking vessel), add the thyme and place a wedge of vegan camembert on top of the onion and roughly pull the edges of the puff pastry together above the camembert wedge. Pinch together well. Glaze if wanted. Repeat with the other onion halves.
  7. Place all 4 parcels onto a baking sheet (if they are not already) and cook on the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
I'll try for a better picture tomorrow, mine came apart and is a tad over-cooked (wrong element on on the oven).

Back
Top Bottom