INGREDIENTS
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F.)
1 and 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose or bread flour
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more to coat dough
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a liquid measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 3 to 5 minutes.

2a. FOR FOOD PROCESSOR: Insert dough or metal chopping blade in work bowl and add flour, olive oil and salt. With the machine running, pour the liquid mixture through the feed tube as fast as the flour absorbs it. Process until dough cleans the sides of the work bowl and forms a ball. Then process for 30 seconds to knead dough. Dough may be slightly sticky.

2b. BY HAND: Add flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center, then pour in the yeast mixture and the oil and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until dough is elastic and satiny, approximately 10 minutes.

3. Form dough into one large ball or two small balls. Coat evenly with olive oil; transfer to a lightly oiled bowl(s), cover in plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.

4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll into desired crust sizes and place on baking pans lightly sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Follow with a pizza recipe.

Recipe courtesy of Cuisinart

NOTE: I don't bake this on a metal pan. Instead, I crank my oven to 525F, let it heat for an hour (so I turn the oven on first thing), and bake this for two minutes on parchment paper directly on my pizza stone, then I remove the paper and continue baking for 8-9 minutes longer.

I also either shape this by hand (which makes a medium-thickness crust, or i roll it out to make a thin crust. If I'm doing a thin crust, I put my stone on the middle oven rack, and if I'm doing a medium-thick crust, I put my stone on the bottom rack.

Last edited:
SAME-DAY PIZZA DOUGH
Makes one large or two small pizzas

INGREDIENTS
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F.)
1 and 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose or bread flour
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more to coat dough
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a liquid measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 3 to 5 minutes.

2a. FOR FOOD PROCESSOR: Insert dough or metal chopping blade in work bowl and add flour, olive oil and salt. With the machine running, pour the liquid mixture through the feed tube as fast as the flour absorbs it. Process until dough cleans the sides of the work bowl and forms a ball. Then process for 30 seconds to knead dough. Dough may be slightly sticky.

2b. BY HAND: Add flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center, then pour in the yeast mixture and the oil and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until dough is elastic and satiny, approximately 10 minutes.

3. Form dough into one large ball or two small balls. Coat evenly with olive oil; transfer to a lightly oiled bowl(s), cover in plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.

4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll into desired crust sizes and place on baking pans lightly sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Follow with a pizza recipe.

Recipe courtesy of Cuisinart

NOTE: I don't bake this on a metal pan. Instead, I crank my oven to 525F, let it heat for an hour (so I turn the oven on first thing), and bake this for two minutes on parchment paper directly on my pizza stone, then I remove the paper and continue baking for 8-9 minutes longer.

I also either shape this by hand (which makes a medium-thickness crust, or i roll it out to make a thin crust. If I'm doing a thin crust, I put my stone on the middle oven rack, and if I'm doing a medium-thick crust, I put my stone on the bottom rack.

Copied , thanks bro. I just made pastry for samosas earlier. I'll do this next day or so.

Russ

Copied , thanks bro. I just made pastry for samosas earlier. I'll do this next day or so.

Russ
I'm interested in your yeast problems. Let me know how that works, because yeast problems (depending on what type of yeast you're using) usually comes down to liquid to hot (kills the yeast), liquid too cool (yeast never wakes up), or yeast is already dead at the start.

I use either active dry yeast, which I proof in a little warm water and sugar, or instant dry yeast (rapid rise), which doesn't require proofing.

I'm interested in your yeast problems. Let me know how that works, because yeast problems (depending on what type of yeast you're using) usually comes down to liquid to hot (kills the yeast), liquid too cool (yeast never wakes up), or yeast is already dead at the start.

I use either active dry yeast, which I proof in a little warm water and sugar, or instant dry yeast (rapid rise), which doesn't require proofing.

We get it in a jar, I checked expiry and it was ok, last time I got the frothy part going on, but it never transferred into rising in the bread.

Russ

We get it in a jar, I checked expiry and it was ok, last time I got the frothy part going on, but it never transferred into rising in the bread.

Russ
I know this is an old post, but curious if you keep your yeast in the refrigerator? It lasts longer.

No problem, I am pretty new to baking but it's something my mom did when we were growing up, and I have seen others do it as well. Seems like I read it somewhere on this site too.

Doesn't mean that it's going to go bad necessarily if you don't do it.

Reactions: mjd
Do you mean for the yeast in jars and/or the packets? I have some of the three small ones that come connected and have only used one thus far.
I am pretty sure any yeast. I guess chances are if you have packets you will use them all pretty quickly. I buy it in the jar these days.

I'm not that brave yet. TastyReuben walked me through making hamburger buns (which were amazing!) but I haven't ventured beyond that just yet.
You'll be fine. I am not much of a baker myself, I had a bread machine about 25 years ago that I used all the time, but as far as baking anything else it's pretty much to me this year. Before that it needed to come frozen (like bread loaves), refrigerated (cookie dough), or in a box with instructions on the back (cakes).

I tried the bun recipes of both TastyReuben and Burt Blank. I liked both very much but for different things. I do want to venture out and try medtran49 Broiche bun recipe. I will probaby get to that in the next couple of weeks (if I get in the mood for a burger).

Snap, buns worked good but not ventured further.

Russ

Only because I haven't been feeling too well lately. I get the blahs (PTSD related) this time of year and I had to put off my appointment for pain management when I tested positive for COVID. Now, I have to wait until mid-January.

This pizza dough recipe looks easy. I might venture down that road sometime in the next week or two. ;-)

You'll be fine. I am not much of a baker myself, I had a bread machine about 25 years ago that I used all the time, but as far as baking anything else it's pretty much to me this year. Before that it needed to come frozen (like bread loaves), refrigerated (cookie dough), or in a box with instructions on the back (cakes).

I can make cakes and pies but I've never tried bread until TastyReuben posted an easy-peasy one for hamburger buns. I've just been terrified of yeast for about 20 years (when I made some homemade root beer that exploded overnight). I'm getting back on the horse since joining this site. You all are so wonderful to share your advice and tips. I'm learning all the time!

Back
Top Bottom