Recipe Beef and Vegetable Soup with Red Wine Broth

caseydog

Local time
6:30 AM
Beef and Vegetable Soup with Red Wine Broth

I have been making this for years from memory, so this is only the second time I have written it out. The first time was many years ago because my parents and sister asked for it. Of course, I lost that. This recipe is based on how I made it today. But, it is pretty flexible, if you want to change it, or can't get something I used.

Ingredients

Beef Chuck Roast (or similar), 2-3 pounds
Red Potatoes (number depends on size)
1 Large Onion, or two small ones
Approximately 5 celery stalks
1 bottle red wine (I prefer a California Cabernet Sauvignon)
2 Cans Campbells Condensed Beef Consommé (or similar STRONG beef broth/stock)
Frozen Peas (about two cups)
Frozen Corn (about two cups)
Herbes de Provence

Mise en Place

Cut your beef into one inch or smaller dice. It will shrink during cooking by about 1/3.
Dice your onion(s) into 1/2 inch dice
Slice your celery into 1/4 inch slices
Open your cans of consommé/stock
Open your bottle of wine
Your potatoes will not be used at first, so don't cut them until you need them, or they will oxidize. When the time comes, dice them into 1/2 cubes.
Peas an corn can stay frozen until you need them. They will go in at the same time as the potatoes.

Instructions

Lube up a dutch oven or stock pot (I used a cast iron DO) with OO, season (S&P) and brown your diced meat in batches, and set aside.
Add more OO to the pot, and sauté your onions and celery, with a sprinkling of salt.
Use a small amount of wine to deglaze the pot bottom.
Add your beef back into the pot, and pour equal amounts of wine and beef consommé into the pot to cover completely.
Season with Herbes de Provence, about one TBSP -- adjust later, if needed -- and one TBSP black pepper.

(Note: If you taste the broth at this point, the wine will be a bit overwhelming. It will mellow out a lot as it cooks for a few hours.)

Simmer that mixture for about two hours, until the beef is just tender.

At that point, dice your potatoes, and add them right away. Also add your frozen peas and corn. Bring back to a simmer (the frozen veggies will kill your simmer).

Simmer for another hour, tasting as you go, and adjusting seasoning. This is also when you would add salt, to your liking.

When the potatoes are tender, you are done.

BeefVegWine001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Beef and Vegetable Soup with Red Wine Broth

I have been making this for years from memory, so this is only the second time I have written it out. The first time was many years ago because my parents and sister asked for it. Of course, I lost that. This recipe is based on how I made it today. But, it is pretty flexible, if you want to change it, or can't get something I used.

Ingredients

Beef Chuck Roast (or similar), 2-3 pounds
Red Potatoes (number depends on size)
1 Large Onion, or two small ones
Approximately 5 celery stalks
1 bottle red wine (I prefer a California Cabernet Sauvignon)
2 Cans Campbells Condensed Beef Consommé (or similar STRONG beef broth/stock)
Frozen Peas (about two cups)
Frozen Corn (about two cups)
Herbes de Provence

Mise en Place

Cut your beef into one inch or smaller dice. It will shrink during cooking by about 1/3.
Dice your onion(s) into 1/2 inch dice
Slice your celery into 1/4 inch slices
Open your cans of consommé/stock
Open your bottle of wine
Your potatoes will not be used at first, so don't cut them until you need them, or they will oxidize. When the time comes, dice them into 1/2 cubes.
Peas an corn can stay frozen until you need them. They will go in at the same time as the potatoes.

Instructions

Lube up a dutch oven or stock pot (I used a cast iron DO) with OO, season (S&P) and brown your diced meat in batches, and set aside.
Add more OO to the pot, and sauté your onions and celery, with a sprinkling of salt.
Use a small amount of wine to deglaze the pot bottom.
Add your beef back into the pot, and pour equal amounts of wine and beef consommé into the pot to cover completely.
Season with Herbes de Provence, about one TBSP -- adjust later, if needed -- and one TBSP black pepper.

(Note: If you taste the broth at this point, the wine will be a bit overwhelming. It will mellow out a lot as it cooks for a few hours.)

Simmer that mixture for about two hours, until the beef is just tender.

At that point, dice your potatoes, and add them right away. Also add your frozen peas and corn. Bring back to a simmer (the frozen veggies will kill your simmer).

Simmer for another hour, tasting as you go, and adjusting seasoning. This is also when you would add salt, to your liking.

When the potatoes are tender, you are done.

View attachment 58256

CD

:hungry:

Back
Top Bottom