Recipe Beef & Stout Pies (with Mushrooms)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:35 PM
Beef & Stout Pies (with Mushrooms)
Serves 4

NOTE: I didn't follow the recipe below exactly as listed, as a pie with no bottom crust is really just a bowl of stew with a lid on. The filling is the same, except that I used an equivalent amount of chopped leeks in place of the onion and an equal amount of white mushrooms in place of the cremini mushrooms.

Ingredients
3 TB AP flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 lb boneless chuck steak or eye of round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
vegetable oil, for frying
1-1/4 cups beef stock
1 onion, chopped
8 oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps quartered
1 TB tomato paste
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 cup stout
1 lb puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

Directions
Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl, then toss the beef in the mixture until evenly coated.

Heat 3 TB of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in batches, and transfer to a flameproof casserole dish. Deglaze the skillet with 1/4 cup of stock, and add the liquid to the casserole dish.

Heat another 1-2 TB of oil in the skillet and cook the onion and mushrooms for 6-7 minutes, until soft. Add to the casserole dish with the tomato paste, thyme, stout, and remaining stock. Heat the casserole dish over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then simmer gently with the lid slightly askew for 1-1/2 hours. Check the seasoning.

Drain the meat mixture in a strainer set over a bowl, reserving the liquid. Let rest until cool.

Heat the oven to 425F. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat.

Divide the meat mixture among four individual 1-3/4 cup pie plates with a flat rim or ovenproof bowls. Pour in enough of the liquid to not quite cover the filling. Dampen the rims of the pie plates.

Cut the pastry into quarters. Roll out each piece to about 1 inch bigger than the pie plates. From each quarter, cut a 1/2-inch strip and press it onto a dampened rim. Brush with egg yok, then drape the pastry quarter on top, covering the strip. Trim, crimp the edges with a fork, and make three slashes down the middle. Decorate the tops with shapes cut from the trimmings. Brush with the remaining egg yolk.

Place the pies on the heated baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400F and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook

The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

NOTE: I didn't follow the recipe below exactly as listed, as a pie with no bottom crust is really just a bowl of stew with a lid on. The filling is the same, except that I used an equivalent amount of chopped leeks in place of the onion and an equal amount of white mushrooms in place of the cremini mushrooms.

You deviated from a recipe. :okay:

CD

You deviated from a recipe. :okay:

CD
I do that more than I realize, I think. I think a lot of the time, if I don't think it's a serious change, it doesn't really count.

However, I will agree that going from a one-crust puff pastry pie to a two-crust shortcrust pie is a significant deviation, but I just can't abide a top-crust-only pot pie. :headshake:

I do that more than I realize, I think. I think a lot of the time, if I don't think it's a serious change, it doesn't really count.

However, I will agree that going from a one-crust puff pastry pie to a two-crust shortcrust pie is a significant deviation, but I just can't abide a top-crust-only pot pie. :headshake:

You should change your credits to Inspired by The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook. You took a recipe, and made it your way. That's a good thing, IMO.

CD

What a great looking pie. You just went to top of my shortlist for the current challenge (mushrooms), not that I'm the judge for the challenge. It seems more English than Irish to me but I suppose the stout is the link.

Back
Top Bottom