The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we win a prize if we can figure out what you are making from this mise en place photo?

CD
Yes...the warm feeling of guessing what I'm making! :laugh:

Actually, there's one very important ingredient that's not there that would instantly give the whole thing away... :whistling:

Haha......looks like a beef and mushroom stew kinda thing maybe....:D
Close...and if I followed the recipe exactly, that'd be close enough to win. More on that later.

Recipe - Beef & Stout Pies (with Mushrooms)

I do so love a good pot pie, and a steak-and-ale pie is probably my favorite. This one meets the challenge with the addition of mushrooms.

I could have done with a bit more of the gravy, but as I was making a two-crust pie (instead of the top-crust-only version the recipe describes), I held back some of the liquid because I thought it might prevent the bottom of the crust getting good and brown. Nobody likes a soggy bottom.

Other than that, this was an excellent pie. I did use a store-bought Pillsbury pie crust for these, because for me, a pot pie like this must have a bottom crust; otherwise, it's just a bowl of beef stew with a pastry lid slapped on. I can't say how crestfallen I've been, on much more than one occasion, to order a pot pie, lick my chops in anticipation, and finding no crust at the bottom. It's like admiring a shapely young woman from afar, only to walk up on her and finding out it's your sister.

Recipe - Portobello Mushroom Crackers

6807F75C-34D5-44BC-AF1C-61F5A06072B1.jpeg

Portobello Mushroom Burgers. I wanted to make this taste as much as possible like beef. I think I came pretty close. But, just using a Portobello mushroom in place of a beef patty wasn’t enough for me. I used the same marinade for the button mushrooms that I loaded on top. There might just be enough mushrooms for me in this recipe.

Last edited:
View attachment 74392

Portobello Mushroom Burgers. I wanted to make this taste as much as possible like beef. I think I came pretty close. But, just using a Portabello mushroom in place of a beef patty wasn’t enough for me. I used the same marinade for the button mushrooms that I loaded on top. There might just be enough mushrooms for me in this recipe.

Very nice with the cheese and toppings, but I would have gone with some ground brisket for the "burger" patty. :whistling:

CD :D

Very nice with the cheese and toppings, but I would have gone with some ground brisket for the "burger" patty. :whistling:

CD :D

I seriously thought it would be cool to make an “Inside Out Burger”: A mushroom patty topped with sliced hamburger. But, I decided to challenge myself with a very mushroom forward recipe. Plus, clever the pun as it may be, slicing hamburger is just weird.

Not that I wouldn’t eat it. But, if I’m combining beef and mushrooms, the beef has to come first. Your recipe reminded me of how astonishingly good a mushroom Swiss burger is. You bet I’m making it soon.

I seriously thought it would be cool to make an “Inside Out Burger”: A mushroom patty topped with sliced hamburger. But, I decided to challenge myself with a very mushroom forward recipe. Plus, clever the pun as it may be, slicing hamburger is just weird.

Not that I wouldn’t eat it. But, if I’m combining beef and mushrooms, the beef has to come first. Your recipe reminded me of how astonishingly good a mushroom Swiss burger is. You bet I’m making it soon.

Ooooo, I like the inside-out idea. Perhaps a portobello mushroom "patty" with crumbled ground beef as a topping.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom