The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef Wellington for one featuring homemade mushroom duxelles.

Recipe & Video - Beef Wellington For One (Or Two!!)

My experience with magic mushrooms was with them steeped into a tea, with a lot of sugar. It was fun, but I never did it again.

CD
There was a cow pasture in between my high school and my house that I cut through on my way home from school (before I owned a car). Interestingly, the school library had a book on psychedelics with photos of psilocybin mushrooms in it. My mom just thought my sister and I were silly teenagers when she came home from work and found us in fits of giggles.

I've been adding the recipes to my spreadsheet, and I have to say I want try ALL of them! So much fun!

I am just about to eat breakfast... so note well these are rendering me even hungrier than ever. Fortunately, I have some oyster mushrooms that are ending up in an omelet...

Picked up some nice white buttons for hubby's salad yesterday.

Making a brunch quiche right now with mushrooms, red bell pepper, black olive, roasted garlic, chicken, red onion, feta, shredded parm, and shredded white cheddar. Used five small eggs and heavy cream with fresh oregano and basil (not pictured). Not an entry, I was feeling too lazy to measure and write it up.

It cam out with the crust a little darker than I normally like, but still very good. If it were an entry I'd have covered the edges.

Last edited:
Can I ask that you look at the link please? Right now it is the link for posting a new thread...
and having had a quick look at your recent posts, it's not obvious as to what it should be unless it is this post from Oct 2017

Xmas Only 3 Months Away. What do you do on 24th / 25th ?

In the U.S. we celebrate Thanks Giving - 4th Thursday of November. This year it is on the 23rd. Like Christmas Thanks Giving is a time for family gatherings and lots of good food.

With the exception of my Mother (a very hale and hearty 86) my generation is the eldest generation. Three of us are 60+. "Baby Brother" is 51. He has a 12 year old daughter. The rest of my nieces and nephews are adults and with one exception are married and have children of their own.

We gather at the home of the Middle Sister. I usually show up with my youngest sister on Tuesday or Wednesday to help set tables, arrange flowers and do whatever needs to be done before the cooking begins.

YEARS ago I showed up with a braised pork roast with lots of wine (full bottle) in the gravy. My youngest Brother named it my Drunk Pork Roast.

Since then my family begs for my roast at Thanks Giving and Christmas.

A traditional dish for both Thanks Giving and Christmas is a Sweet Potato Casserole. Sweet is the operative word. The casserole has eggs, cream and lots of brown sugar. The topping is toasted pecans, more brown sugar and marshmallows. Diabetes here I come. Sweet enough to be classified as a desert.

Last year I brought a sweet potato casserole with a twist. Maple syrup instead of brown sugar and butter milk instead of cream in the casserole. Plus a surprise bit of heat. Salted, roasted pistachios instead of pecans and no marshmallows on top.

A deluge of phone calls and E-mails begging me to bring my dish for Christmas dinner.

I really must have my head examined. This year I plan to add another dish to replace the traditional green bean casserole. Traditional casserole is made with canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup, canned fried onion rings and processed cheese food. I plan to make a roasted asparagus casserole with artichoke hearts and a Gruyere Mornay sauce.

There is actually a reason for my madness. Mother bakes a turkey and brings rice dressing, nibbles and 2 or 3 deserts. The sweet potato and green bean casseroles have also been part of her contribution. By preparing alternatives I can lessen her burden just a little.

Someone always brings a baked ham. Other traditional dishes are a creamed spinach and artichoke heart casserole, Sarah's Summer Squash, Corn Pudding, Cornbread dressing - usually with crawfish, some type of salad, an assortment of breads (I bring an assortment of compound butter), nibbles and LOTS of deserts.

A sinful amount of food. The upside - everyone takes home plates of left overs.

Repeat for Christmas.

When I actually start cooking I will post recipes.

Recipe - Breakfast Strata with Sausage, Mushrooms, and Monterey Jack Cheese

This came out beautifully. I put this together last night, which I think is crucial to really getting the egg mixture fully soaked into the bread, and it's so pleasant to wake up and know that breakfast is already 2/3rds of the way done - all that remained was to pop it in the oven for a bit and a hot, filling, season-appropriate dish was at the ready.

Breakfast casseroles are very popular in our families (and in our area as a whole), and the truth is, I usually have to power through a serving, because they're usually overcooked, with too-firm eggs and hard bread, and some people feel the need to throw in the entire contents of the fridge in there as well, making something overly heavy. Not good for the morning (or any other time of day).

This one is nothing like that. A little crisp just on the top, but with a moist middle, and just the right about of smoothness from the melted cheese. That mix of texture is a tiny bit of heaven, and no one ingredient is the star; everything works together to make a slightly spicy, slightly creamy, slightly spongy thing worth waking up to.

I always love documenting MrsT's reactions to these challenge dishes here, so here goes:

Last night:
What're you doing?
I'm putting together breakfast for tomorrow.
What is it?
Strata with sausage, mushrooms, and cheese.
Mushrooms again? I'm getting sick of mushrooms.

This morning:
Ok, here you go, give it a try.
We'll see...<takes a bite>...hey, that's pretty good.

Five minutes later:
Damn!

That's the best kind of food review! :laugh:

TR - I love Breakfast Strata! It is so versatile. Bread or no bread, any meat or no meat, any cheese, any vegetables. Two weeks ago G, SS and a friend went on a hunting trip in Arkansas. SS called and asked for a breakfast strata. The guys love it. They get up very early to hunt. They used to bring those Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches for a quick, microwaveable breakfast. A couple of years ago I made a strata for G to take on a hunting trip. Goodbye Jimmy Dean.
My Baby Sis loves making strata when her daughters, their husbands and children visit. So easy to assemble the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom