The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are growing in my front yard in the gravel by the upper parking area. No idea what they are, but they're almost the size of a volleyball.

Edit: Okay, I did a little research and they are called Giant Puffballs. They apparently are edible, but I am not going to find out.

Last edited:
These are growing in my front yard in the gravel by the upper parking area. No idea what they are, but they're almost the size of a volleyball.

View attachment 73689
View attachment 73690

Edit: Okay, I did a little research and they are called Giant Puffballs. They apparently are edible, but I am not going to find out.
We get quite a few of those, and of you stomp on it, you'll find out why they're called puffballs. 💨

View attachment 73689
View attachment 73690

Mozzarella! 🤣

View attachment 73689
View attachment 73690

They are fantastic fresh (so totally white inside If you cut into them). We make mushroom steaks with them. Literally cut through horizontally in 2-3cm thick slices and gently fry in a mix of butter and oil turning occasionally. Gorgeous.

These were made with some massive field mushrooms we found in a local supermarket recently.

They are fantastic fresh (so totally white inside If you cut into them). We make mushroom steaks with them. Literally cut through horizontally in 2-3cm thick slices and gently fry in a mix of butter and oil turning occasionally. Gorgeous.

These were made with some massive field mushrooms we found in a local supermarket recently.
Those look like cinnamon rolls!

Oh I remember them as a child, but they didn't grow that large and the ones I saw were light brown. I always liked the "puff" of smoke.
The light brown ones are called earth balls and are very definitely not edible. They are not deadly but they are poisonous. But they are very easy to tell apart from puff balls of any size, by cutting them open. puff balls are white and a constant white. Earth balls are dark brown/black inside with the lighter skin on the outside.

The light brown ones are called earth balls and are very definitely not edible. They are not deadly but they are poisonous. But they are very easy to tell apart from puff balls of any size, by cutting them open. puff balls are white and a constant white. Earth balls are dark brown/black inside with the lighter skin on the outside.
The ones I saw when a kid (the light brown ones) blew out a puff of dust when we stomped on them. They weren't dark brown inside, though.

No. 3 Recipe - Wild Mushroom Coulibiac

This is a real extravagance so go with good tasty mushrooms, not white cup mushrooms else you'll not get the marvelous flavours.
If we make it any time soon, my diet may not permit it at 770 Kcals per serving though! I'll add a photo, but it isn't hard to imagine what it should look like.

Question for all.
I prepared a lovely dish. The base is 4 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP EVOO. In a photo my dish has globules of oil on the surface. What can I do to make the photo more appealing? I have tried laing a paper towel over the surface to absorb the oil. It did not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate having less than stellar photos of a really lovely dish.
Add more butter. :dance:

View attachment 73689
View attachment 73690

It is my understanding that there are no poisonous mushrooms that can be mistaken for puffballs.

This is probably true, maybe almost certainly true, but not to a level that I will test for myself!

I did try puffballs that someone else harvested about 30 years ago. They were good, but without any deep flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom