The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushroom, Sun Dried Tomato and Garlic Crostini

full.jpg

Most truffle oils don't actually use truffles but a compound called 2,4-dithiapentane but the more expensive truffle oils use other "natural" compounds to make it more complex and the more you spend the more "natural compounds" you pay for. Some will add truffle to make it more authentic and charge more but adding actual truffle doesn't actually add any measurable flavor.

Home made truffle oil is different but impractical and expensive unless you live near an oak tree and have a truffle dog. :laugh:
Or a truffle pig.

I am not looking at recipes. I have my own version of stuffed mushrooms and mushroom spread and sautéed mushrooms. I think my recipes will be different from others and worthy of individual consideration. That is the fun of this competition.

I'm making stuffed shrooms tonight. I hope I don't "Tasty" you. :laugh:

CD

So here´s something I prepared which can be served either as an accompanying dish of as a cocktail dish ( with toothpicks). Over here in Caracas, a party - be it a meeting with some friends, an informal lunch or a wedding - always has cocktail snacks. Lots of them. They´re known as "pasapalos" here - literally, "something to eat with drinks". However, that´s another thread.
The meatiness of the mushrooms is infused with Indian spices and cream.
Recipe Mushrooms Himalaya

Question for all.
I prepared a lovely dish. The base is 4 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP EVOO. In a photo my dish has globules of oil on the surface. What can I do to make the photo more appealing? I have tried laing a paper towel over the surface to absorb the oil. It did not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate having less than stellar photos of a really lovely dish.

Question for all.
I prepared a lovely dish. The base is 4 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP EVOO. In a photo my dish has globules of oil on the surface. What can I do to make the photo more appealing? I have tried laing a paper towel over the surface to absorb the oil. It did not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate having less than stellar photos of a really lovely dish.

I use Photoshop for such things (did I just say that out loud?) Actually, I think it is okay to Photoshop out things like that. Can you send me the photo in a PM to look at? It will be easier to make suggestions.

CD

Question for all.
I'm pretty certain that the only real non Photoshop solution is probably to use less oil & butter for the version you want the photo of.
However it would depend entirely on the dish. Several of the mushroom dishes I prepare are stews or soups and the surface will have a ring of oil around the outside of the pan and often spots of oil on the surface, usually bright red from cayenne pepper or more likely paprika.
There the only solution is to pour all of the liquid into a measuring jug and allow it to stand. Tapping the side helps to free any trapped oil bubbles and then you can spoon off the oil, add a serving of solids to a bowl and pour on the liquid minus the oil for the photoshoot, before returning everything back to the pot, oil included... If the photo is that important to you that is :whistling: .

Oven Baked Stuffed Mushrooms -- [EDIT] This is just for looks, not an entry. I can't find my notes to write an accurate recipe. I basically know what I did, but don't remember the quantities.

Stuffed with cheese, chives, garlic... and a little cayenne pepper for a touch of heat.

_DSC2389.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom