The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old mushrooms can be slimy. If fresh, I have never found them to be so.

An old cucumber can be slimy. The thing to do, is to plan your purchases of things like fresh mushrooms and cucumbers in line with using them straight away, so that they don't have time to start going slimy.

I've found that you can freeze mushrooms, but if you do, they can't be used in things like salads. They need to be cooked, and at best, in a sauce.

Of course, mushrooms can be dried or pickled and bottled.

Well I must admit it´s been a long while since I tasted mushroom ketchup, back in the UK. I can´t even remember what brand it was.

This one perchance?

Would that apply to mushroom soup too?
It goes for anything with too much insoluble fibre, which doesn't dissolve by blitzing it unfortunately.

I have scar tissue that narrows my intestine at certain points, creating a blockage if too much fibre-y paste needs to pass.. hence is why

Last edited:
I love mushrooms. Just recently used dried porcinis to make a powder and added it to the flour to make pasta, then made a sauce using frozen fresh porcinis. Of course the frozen fresh porcinis took the dish way out of the inexpensive category mentioned above, but it was a treat. I do, however, have an outstanding mixed mushroom pasta sauce I'm going to post.

Ohh, mushroom risotto, maybe with truffles on top!

It goes for anything with too much insoluble fibre, which doesn't dissolve by blitzing it unfortunately.

I have scar tissue that narrows my intestine at certain points, creating a blockage if too much fibre-y paste needs to pass.. hence is why
I make a puree or paste with cremini mushrooms. I sautee onion and garlic add quartered cremini in EVOO and cook until nicely coloured and water has evaporated, then add brandy and some dry sherry and reduce until almost dry. Leave until room temp or you can refrigerate. In the vitamix place the cremini and pulse while adding unsalted butter which bring lt together and makes it velvety smooth and adjust seasoning.

This is the base that makes the sauce for my mushroom pasta where I sautee assorted mushrooms then add an amount of this puree to finish the dish after some white wine has been added near the end of sautéing the mushrooms.

You could just use a puree of mushrooms with pasta if your missing mushrooms, I know I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom