The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeterminate mushrooms of uncertain health are not permitted in this challenge...

I did go on a mushroom hike about ten years ago. We saw nearly as many poisonous ones as healthy ones. I didn't feel that I learned enough from that venture to go picking these things on my ownsome... I certainly remember nothing from that hike other than it was a really pleasant day, and our guide apparently knew what he was doing.
I think it's this one:

Suillus americanus​

From Wikipedia:
Some susceptible individuals have experienced an allergic reaction after touching Suillus americanus. The symptoms of allergic contact dermatitis generally develop one to two days after initial contact, persist for roughly a week, then disappear without treatment. Cooking the fruit bodies inactivates the responsible allergens.

And to eat:
This species is nonpoisonous and sometimes regarded as edible, but opinions about its palatibility are mixed. It has no odor and its taste has been reported as mild. One field guide suggests it has a "distinctive lemony tang", and another says, "The yellow cap may remind you of chicken fat; it has a wonderfully savory mushroom flavor." The slimy texture of the mushroom has been compared to okra. One cookbook author suggests that the mushroom is ideal for spreads, for use on bread or as a dip; baking the fruit bodies in an oven will dry them for future use, and concentrate the flavor. The slimy caps and the pore layer are typically removed before consumption. Another field guide mentions that the "thin flesh hardly make this species worthwhile."

Recipe - Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos

Portobello mushrooms are meaty mushroom, and make a good substitute in meat dishes. Here, I used them instead of "fajita," which is steak. Without trying, I may have created a vegan friendly dish... although I don't know all of the 6,274 rules of vegan cooking, so maybe not. :D The crema is optional, and surely there must be vegan tortillas out there..

They tasted very good, although I do like me some steak, so I'm not likely to make them again, at least for myself. It is nice to have another veggie dish in my cooking toolbox.

PortoTaco001.jpg

CD

Recipe - Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos

Portobello mushrooms are meaty mushroom, and make a good substitute in meat dishes. Here, I used them instead of "fajita," which is steak. Without trying, I may have created a vegan friendly dish... although I don't know all of the 6,274 rules of vegan cooking, so maybe not. :D The crema is optional, and surely there must be vegan tortillas out there..

They tasted very good, although I do like me some steak, so I'm not likely to make them again, at least for myself. It is nice to have another veggie dish in my cooking toolbox.

View attachment 73403

CD

Brilliant indeed

Thanks. I actually saw portobello fajitas on a restaurant menu once, which is where the idea came from. I didn't try the ones at the restaurant, but I've eaten a lot of fajitas (and made them), so it wasn't hard to figure out.

CD
We made some for a party a long time ago, as well as steak fajitas, as we had vegan, vegetarian and omnivore guests. I made a roasted red bell, chipotle sauce for them, as well as provided crema. The sauce was a hit with everybody.

My latest grocery shopping trip didn't find much in the way of mushrooms, but I got these sliced brown crimini mushrooms to start.

full.jpg

People are panic buying again and there are 'supply line' issues.

I do have some dry chanterelle and enoki mushrooms and some dry black truffles.

It goes without saying that I'm not going to be able to make these in the time frame before the end of the challenge, but I love mushrooms, to the point of growing my own both here in Australia and for many years in the UK and i'm not talking about those tiny kits in polystyrene containers that yield very little...

So my first entry. Hopefully there will be more. I just need a clear enough head to be able to write them up whilst in rehab following my total hip replacement.

Recipe - Vegan Baked Mushroom Moussakas

You'll have to use your imaginations.

Sadly a fair number of my favourite mushroom recipes are already written up so can't be included. Ah well, all that means is that I will have to make some more mushroom recipes. Chilli non-squid anyone?

Eermmm.... Mushrooms on toast?
Yes we still have a few remaining examples of 'the savoury course' but rarely (if ever) are they eaten as a final course in a meal. Another example of something that was probably once 'a savoury course' is devilled eggs (more popular in the US than the UK these days). Somewhere I've got a fascinating vintage book of breakfast dishes and savouries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom