The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make a puree or paste with cremini mushrooms. I sautee onion and garlic add quartered cremini in EVOO and cook until nicely coloured and water has evaporated, then add brandy and some dry sherry and reduce until almost dry. Leave until room temp or you can refrigerate. In the vitamix place the cremini and pulse while adding unsalted butter which bring lt together and makes it velvety smooth and adjust seasoning.

This is the base that makes the sauce for my mushroom pasta where I sautee assorted mushrooms then add an amount of this puree to finish the dish after some white wine has been added near the end of sautéing the mushrooms.

You could just use a puree of mushrooms with pasta if your missing mushrooms, I know I would be.
Guess you didnt read my spoiler . This definitely still gives me the same issues, sorry

Last edited:
Recipe - Funghi Trifolati – Sautéed Mushroom Italian-Style

Yeah I agree they fit the season perfectly

Come to think of it, would truffle oil be allowed Mountain Cat and Morning Glory ? In that case I might still be able to use something
Gonna say, go for it.

(I will note that a lot of truffle oil in the US contains exactly zero truffle, but I suspect standards differ in Europe.)

Gonna say, go for it.

(I will note that a lot of truffle oil in the US contains exactly zero truffle, but I suspect standards differ in Europe.)
It's not much different, but I can find some that's at least got about 5% or something because zero would not be allowed here indeed. I may even buy a truffle in oil, truffle shavings I can manage because it's so little substance.

It's not much different, but I can find some that's at least got about 5% or something because zero would not be allowed here indeed. I may even buy a truffle in oil, truffle shavings I can manage because it's so little substance.
Most truffle oils don't actually use truffles but a compound called 2,4-dithiapentane but the more expensive truffle oils use other "natural" compounds to make it more complex and the more you spend the more "natural compounds" you pay for. Some will add truffle to make it more authentic and charge more but adding actual truffle doesn't actually add any measurable flavor.

Home made truffle oil is different but impractical and expensive unless you live near an oak tree and have a truffle dog. :laugh:

Come to think of it, would truffle oil be allowed @Mountain Cat and @Morning Glory ? In that case I might still be able to use something

Its not up to me at all. Its the prerogative of the judge to decide.

In fact, I'm going to post a simple recipe with truffle oil (though it does contain mushrooms too).

Indeterminate mushrooms of uncertain health are not permitted in this challenge...

I did go on a mushroom hike about ten years ago. We saw nearly as many poisonous ones as healthy ones. I didn't feel that I learned enough from that venture to go picking these things on my ownsome... I certainly remember nothing from that hike other than it was a really pleasant day, and our guide apparently knew what he was doing.

I am going to follow the protocol mentioned by a few earlier judges and not respond or react to actual entries in this contest until the end.

While I won't be taking each two and eliminating a recipe each time, I have set up an Excel spreadsheet so I can track the recipes submitted. (I don't want to call up the 2017 recipes by accident at the end... Yes, I can figure it out at that point, but that would interrupt time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom