The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushroom and Andouille Sausage Barley Soup

full.jpg

5E041D3F-A1D3-49FA-95BD-E07ADE4FFB54.jpeg

Duck Breast with Mushroom Blueberry Sauce. Served with Bacon Fried Brussels Sprouts. Yeah, I know. This is one ingredient challenge late to what I had planned originally. But, as it often does, life got in the way. The mushrooms are an important part of this recipe, but of course it is mostly about the duck breast.

Last edited:
That is quite an impressive display - not sure what the ones that look like cauliflower might be.
there is actually a mushroom called cauliflower mushroom. my only concern with naming it that was that the ones in the picture don't match exactly with how I know them (have eaten it). cauliflower mushroom has a more open structure to it though (at least of what I know of it (I have picked it from the wild and eaten it in the UK several decades ago) and all of the photos on the web), kind of how broccoli goes when it's about to flower, and i guess maybe the cauliflower vegetable does as well, I've just never seen it that way.

anyhow I do think it is cauliflower mushroom

Recipe - Mushroom-Leek Stuffing with Herbs

I made a mushroom-and-leek stuffing, which I used to stuff some pork chops:

MrsT really raved about the stuffing, and asked if I'd be making it again for Thanksgiving, so that's a thumbs-up, I suppose. As I'm mentioned before, I don't really care for mushrooms, so my opinion of the dish probably isn't a fair assessment, but I did eat the stuffing and didn't pick the mushrooms out, so there's that. :)

NOTE: The recipe called for white mushrooms, but I used a mix of white and brown, since that's what I had.

Recipe - Bistro Mushrooms

MrsT really enjoyed this a lot. It's somewhat cold here today, and this was a good comfort dish for her.

The recipe is just for the mushrooms. I served them over some Welsh rarebit, but they'd also work well over a potato, or with some eggs, probably even pasta, rice, or any number of things.

And yes, that's a pic of my plate (my wife's had more mushrooms than that), and I ate all those mushrooms. 😑

To All
Be extremely careful harvesting wild mushrooms. G finds wild mushrooms on his hunting trips. I contact the Mycologist at our university to verify the edibility of the mushroom and for recipe recommendations. Seriously - do not eat wild mushrooms based on internet pictures. Consult a Mycologist at your nearest University.
I am 68 years old. I remember the days in the 60's/70's when shrooms were a thing. I tried it once. Tasted like poop. Lots of tracing lights. Serious case of the giggles. Not worth the disgusting taste and the diarrhea the next day.
I did so many seriously stupid things in my younger years. I am happy to be alive.

To All
Be extremely careful harvesting wild mushrooms. G finds wild mushrooms on his hunting trips. I contact the Mycologist at our university to verify the edibility of the mushroom and for recipe recommendations. Seriously - do not eat wild mushrooms based on internet pictures. Consult a Mycologist at your nearest University.
I am 68 years old. I remember the days in the 60's/70's when shrooms were a thing. I tried it once. Tasted like poop. Lots of tracing lights. Serious case of the giggles. Not worth the disgusting taste and the diarrhea the next day.
I did so many seriously stupid things in my younger years. I am happy to be alive.

My experience with magic mushrooms was with them steeped into a tea, with a lot of sugar. It was fun, but I never did it again.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom