Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:58 AM
4 Free range eggs
Fresh Dill
Cream
2 tbsp Epic Beer (Epic is a NZ brand, comes in six packs) (Substitute beer of choice)
Cherry tomatoes
Salt and cracked pepper
Smoked Trout, in strips
Sourdough bread, good quality to slice thinly
Goats Cheese, good quality spreadable

Beat the eggs in a bowl, add one part cream to two parts beer - a slurp of cream and a splash of beer. Mix in the cracked pepper, salt and fresh dill and taste for seasoning. Heat butter in frypan, when butter starts to foam tip in egg mixture. Fold eggs as cooking - don't overmix. When eggs are about three quarters cooked mix through finely flaked smoked fish. Remove from heat just before the eggs are cooked as they will continue to cook. Leaving cherry tomatoes on the vine, coat with olive oil and cook in a hot oven for 10 minutes until broken down. Thinly slice sourdough and lightly toast. Spread with goat’s cheese and cut into wedges. Serve.

Recipe adapted very slightly from Paul Mercurio. I'm yet to try it - but this recipe is especially for @Duck59 who came up with the idea of beer scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
Have you made this and if so what did you think of it? It is quite different but sounds quite good. There are so many different flavours in it. I do like smoked trout but never really had it in anything.

Have you made this and if so what did you think of it? It is quite different but sounds quite good. There are so many different flavours in it. I do like smoked trout but never really had it in anything.
No I haven't tried it! I posted it because @Duck59 mentioned scrambled eggs and beer and I wondered if I could find a recipe. I'm not entirely certain about it but if anyone wants to act as a guinea pig, let us know how it goes! I must say that it seemed rather a lot of beer to eggs so I'd be a bit concerned about the consistency. I'm now thinking its meant to read 2 tablespoons of beer (not 2 cans!). If so, I think it would work really well. I'll try it that way and report back.

Ok. I just made scrambled eggs with beer for lunch (minus the trout, tomatoes and goat's cheese). All I had to hand was Coors (lager) so I used 1tbsp and two eggs and a splash of cream. The taste is quite subtle but I liked it - there was a mild savoury and fruity note. Obviously the taste is going to depend on the beer used. It would be interesting to try a darker ale.

I'm certain now the recipe should read 2 tbsp so will amend accordingly!

Ok. I just made scrambled eggs with beer for lunch (minus the trout, tomatoes and goat's cheese). All I had to hand was Coors (lager) so I used 1tbsp and two eggs and a splash of cream. The taste is quite subtle but I liked it - there was a mild savoury and fruity note. Obviously the taste is going to depend on the beer used. It would be interesting to try a darker ale.

I'm certain now the recipe should read 2 tbsp so will amend accordingly!
You didn't waste the rest of the can?

Beer scrambled eggs? I'm thinking I am going with 'bare' scramble eggs. Seriously though, it's something I would try but just for the sake of it. Of course I'd opt to use my local banks beer and my vegetarian cheese.

I have scrambled eggs on sour dough and vine toms for brekkie in waitrose sometimes and the addition of smoked fish is great but I see no gain in the beer,top ingredients at the start don't need any additions ,goats cheese yes I see it as a snack but either fish or cheese

I have scrambled eggs on sour dough and vine toms for brekkie in waitrose sometimes and the addition of smoked fish is great but I see no gain in the beer,top ingredients at the start don't need any additions ,goats cheese yes I see it as a snack but either fish or cheese
I didn't understand it either but I really did try it! And you can taste the beer in the scramble. I think this would be lost with the addition of smoked fish though, which would eclipse the subtle beer flavour.

I didn't understand it either but I really did try it! And you can taste the beer in the scramble. I think this would be lost with the addition of smoked fish though, which would eclipse the subtle beer flavour.
Hops and smoked fish goes well as I did some for a local brewery

Hops and smoked fish goes well as I did some for a local brewery
Interesting. I think if a strong beer was used the smoked fish would work. Yes, I can see that. I now have some interesting dark ale to hand. Do you think smoked salmon would work in lieu of of smoked trout? I know smoked salmon and scrambled eggs work but not sure about the combo with the hop taste. Seems wrong because the salmon is so delicate. Maybe smoked mackerel? I'm saying this because I doubt I can source smoked trout tomorrow!

I've had white smoked salmon in an omelette in Serbia and it was vile. Give it a miss.
Personally, I wouldn't put smoked salmon in an omelette but I do put it with scrambled eggs and rather like it if I'm in the mood. And of course there's Eggs Royale which I also like. I like smoked salmon but oddly, I don't much like salmon otherwise. I find it rather oily and sickly.

Back
Top Bottom