Recipe Bell Pepper Boats with Scallops, Bacon, Quail Egg, Salmon Roe, and Grape Tomato

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
6:38 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
eggs-bellpepper-1-.jpg

You can consider this a sit-down appetizer, or perhaps a side for a fairly fancy meal. The recipe description is per person, simply multiply for more.

This was a rather fun delight to create, something out of the ordinary. I’ve known for awhile that bacon goes with scallops, which goes with ikura, which goes with quail eggs – and you can certainly leave off the quail egg yolk if unavailable.

You want what is sometimes called “dry” scallops. They will brown nicely at a high enough temperature, and doing this will keep the insides moist.

eggs-bellpepper-pepper-.jpg
eggs-bellpepper-scallops-.jpg
You want to remove the “whites” from the yolk of the quail egg – I’ve seen it done by hand, but a small fine strainer, with some finger assistance, works well. Keep a couple eggs to hand, in case one breaks. Yes, this is served raw.

eggs-bellpepper-bacon-.jpg
eggs-bellpepper-2-.jpg

Bell Pepper Boats: Scallops, Bacon, Tomato, Quail Egg, Ikura (Salmon Eggs)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 half a bell pepper, seeds and other innards removed.
  • 1 strip of bacon
  • 2-3 sea scallops – the number will depend on size, and on the size of the pepper.
  • 1 grape tomato, halved longitudinally.
  • 1 quail egg yolk.
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of salmon egg roe (ikura).
  • A small splash of extra virgin olive oil and white wine (or rice) vinegar.
METHOD:

Blanch the bell pepper half (each bell pepper half) in simmering water for 2 or so minutes, to the level of texture you like. Remove and cool in chilled water, set aside.

Pan fry the bacon to your preferred level of crisp. Set aside, and crumble when cool enough to the touch.

In the bacon fat, cook the scallops at medium high. Toss occasionally; cook 2-5 minutes depending on the quality of your scallops, and your texture preference.

Set each bell pepper half out on a small plate, and place a scallop (or a cut portion of a scallop) in each corner within. Scatter the bacon over the top.

Add the grape tomato halves atop the scallop/bacon.

Scatter the ikura (salmon roe) in a decorative pattern within this bell pepper half. Leave an indentation for the quail egg yolk somewhere central.

Add that yolk.

A small splash of quality oil and vinegar will be a good final touch here.

Serve, and enjoy

Last edited:
What a glorious combination of ingredients and a joyful colourful presentation!

My only issue would be the tenderness of the bell pepper. I don't think crispy verging on raw would work at all here - but as you say in the method - blanch to your liking.

What a glorious combination of ingredients and a joyful colourful presentation!

My only issue would be the tenderness of the bell pepper. I don't think crispy verging on raw would work at all here - but as you say in the method - blanch to your liking.
I know I am one of these people who likes crispy bell peppers, and many folk I know do not. Hence, blanch as soft as you prefer - as long as some structure remains!

Back
Top Bottom