Recipe Bell Peppers Stuffed with Lamb, Cabbage, Onion, Za'atar, Topped with Labne

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
8:40 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I aim for a Middle Eastern taste profile here.

bell-served.jpg

The lamb came from a local farmer.

Labne is a Middle-Eastern / Persian dairy product very similar to yogurt (it has cultures, and probably listens to Mozart when it can). I find this at a Persian market in the Connecticut River valley. It has a slightly more sour taste than most yogurt, and is made from milk kefir. Substitute in plain full fat Greek yogurt if you can't find labne. If you are dairy-free, it is not necessary, or try a plain coconut yogurt instead.

bell-labne.jpg

I aimed to give this a Middle Eastern flair.

bell-pre.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: Pan-frying -- 10 minutes; Oven -- 35 minutes.
Rest Time: 5 minutes.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern influences.
Makes: 2 stuffed peppers.

Leftovers: Certainly.

Bell Peppers Stuffed with Ground Lamb, Topped with Labne

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 pound ground lamb (or beef)
  • 1/2 pound shredded cabbage
  • 2 teaspoons cooking oil
  • 2 bell peppers, stems removed, de-seeded. Any color.
  • 1/4 yellow onion, peeled. Chop and dice finely.
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
  • 3/4 teaspoon za'atar
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • A drizzle of balsamic reduction for each.
  • Top with labne or full fat Greek yogurt.
METHOD:

Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C.

Remove tops of, and de-seed two bell peppers.

To a skillet, add the cooking oil. (In my case, this was leftover bacon fat.) Pan fry the cabbage, onion and ground lamb together, breaking up the ground beef as you add it.

Cook until onions are transluscent, and the lamb is cooked, stirring occasionally. About ten minutes.

Put aside, and allow to cool to a level where you can handle it. Add in the garlic powder, za'atar, salt and pepper, and mix.

Stuff each pepper compactly. Drizzle some balsamic reduction over the top. Have them cook upright in your oven.

Remove, and serve with the labne or yogurt either on top, or on the side (or both).

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Cook until onions are transluscent, and the lamb is cooked, stirring occasionally. About ten minutes.

Put aside, and allow to cool to a level where you can handle it. Add in the garlic powder, za'atar, salt and pepper, and mix.

Stuff each pepper compactly. Drizzle some balsamic reduction over the top. Have them cook upright in your oven.

Remove, and serve with the labne or yogurt either on top, or on the side (or both).

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

NOTE: I like my peppers au dente. Some people want them softer - you can blanch the de-seeded peppers in boiling water for a minute or less, before making the rest of this recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great. I bought some za’atar seasoning on a whim and haven’t used it yet… :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom