Building a Burger

My burgers are bigger than that and include toasted bun, tomato sauce, chopped onion, lettuce chow chow,pattie,egg,bacon,beetroot , cheese top bun.
I want one now!

Russ

My pork burgers are limited to the size of the press and the size of the available buns (both around 125mm diameter). The beef patties that I use (bought from Makro) are smaller, just over 100mm diameter, so I tend to use the sourdough rolls.

I'm more like Yorky -- just a few toppings with some good meat.
Most things, even outside of food, I'm like that. Keep it simple.

Pizza, favorite is plain cheese, and two toppings is about as far as I'll go. Burgers, usually it's "mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles," and that's about it. Burgers if I order fast food, though, I just get it with what it comes with because I know they'll eff it up if I special-order it. That's why I like the new BK Bacon Single King. It's just about perfect - very simple.

Hi, I want to add caramelized onion to my burger / sandwich. Will it go well with pickles or coleslaw / sauerkraut? Any response will be appreciated.

My pork burgers are limited to the size of the press and the size of the available buns (both around 125mm diameter). The beef patties that I use (bought from Makro) are smaller, just over 100mm diameter, so I tend to use the sourdough rolls.
Hi, I want to add caramelized onion to my burger / sandwich. Will it go well with pickles or coleslaw / sauerkraut? Any response will be appreciated.

I absolutely love onions done that well, I do mine with red onions for tacos.

Russ

I cannot see why not. I virtually caramelise onions for hot dogs.

Caramelized onions, usually called grilled onions in the US, are a classic burger topping. Pickles would be a good compliment. Not sure about coleslaw. I've never had, or even hear of sauerkraut on a burger in the US, but I'm sure someone does it.

Grilled onions and mushrooms with Swiss cheese is a common American burger. Here is one on a bagel

BagelBurger002.jpg

CD

What is a burger? Any kind of meat, any kind of seasoning, any kind of bread or no bread toasted or not, buttered or not, any condiments, any veggies or no veggies, any cheese or no cheese, bacon, ham or egg or none. There is no real definition of a burger. What a joy!!
The building of a burger is the fun part. My never use are ketchup, raw onions and hot peppers. I like beef burgers. I have a Burger Press. I buy bulk ground beef and press 1/3 lb. burgers. Vacuum seal 2 burgers per pack.
My secret delight when G is out of town is to get a greasy cheese burger from a local - not franchised - burger joint .

My secret delight when G is out of town is to get a greasy cheese burger from a local - not franchised - burger joint .

Unfortunately, although we have a few burger joints here, the ones we have tried all use the "sweet" bread buns. Hot dog rolls are also "sweet"; in fact almost all bread is sweet although there are a few outlets now selling bread with 2% sugar (or less).

We do not yet have franchised burger joints this far north.

Let´s face it - there´s nothing like building a burger for the masses...
When my sons were still here, they´d invite 20 friends over for burgers ( we´ve got a BIG grill outside). I remember one birthday party where we did about 50-60. ALL the extras were there, and that meant lettuce, tomato, raw onions, pickled onions, caramelized onions, cucumber, blue cheese, cheese slices, crispy bacon, blood sausage, home-made pickles, mayo, hot mustard, German mustard, ballpark mustard, ranch dressing, ketchup, banana ketchup, and my own Volcanic Hot Sauce. The kids had great fun ( along a with a few bottles of rum and cases of beer!) and never left a thing, except the ashes on the grill. We used charcoal, mostly, but sometimes, I´d throw some mango branches on there, which was great!
Ahhhhh, those were the days!!

Watching this weekend Formula 1 at COTA in Texas with buddies and I'm making burgers, can't wait. I'm going to do a 60/40 chuck/brisket mix this time. I love love love a good burger. :woot:

None of this chopped onion pieces that drop all over the place, not in your life, it will be a nice big thick slice of white onion, and there will be cheese, yes some cheese......my juices are flowing now. :dance:

But seriously, we're all looking forward to burgers this weekend, can't wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom