Building a Sandwich

Thoroughly enjoyed my chip buttie tonight. Picked up a bag of proper chippy chips on the way home after a later than expected return home. Delicious treat.

Chip shop chips between two slices of fresh white bread or soft white roll). There are variations across the country regarding the bread and names.
Chip buttie (or butty)/sarnie/roll/bap/batch, many more.
Also variations in sauces added.
One of the national papers mapped the names and variations. I'll see if I can find the link.
My husband if from the north and I'm from the south and we are now living in the Midlands. I'm finding the regional differences in both food and language (not necessarily food related) fascinating.

As @Herbie says, above. Its a chip (fries) sandwich. It probably comes from the British tradition of Fish and Chip shops - you buy the fish and chips and take them home for Friday night tea. Buttered (or margarined) slices of white bread would be served as well. So the natural step would be to build a chip butty. You could say it was a working class tradition.

On some of the food shows - DDD for example - I see all manner of sandwiches piled with fries (chips) - including fish sandwiches. Just did not know what they were called across the pond. I have put store bought potato chips (crisps) on a sandwich.

On some of the food shows - DDD for example - I see all manner of sandwiches piled with fries (chips) - including fish sandwiches. Just did not know what they were called across the pond. I have put store bought potato chips (crisps) on a sandwich.

There is one place that was featured on Triple D called Primanti Brothers, I believe in Pittsburg, PA. They have opened 2 locations in south Florida. Just remembering that nasty lady at the one in PA, keeps me from trying the place.

20180225_121836.jpg

We haven't made them in a really long time, but we called them mom's sandwiches. They were made using corned beef and ham or turkey (DD went through a period when she wouldn't eat pork), munster cheese, thinly sliced tomato and garlic dill pickles, slices of country/rustic style bread and 1000 island dressing. After the sandwich was put together, it got dipped in a seasoned egg/milk mix, then fried in a butter and oil mix until nice and brown on each side. These may be on the menu next week.

I don't find it particularly smelly, but then again I don't think gruyere is smelly and some do apparently. It has an orangish color rind.

Is it from Alsace? The Munster I've had is the sort you couldn't travel with on a train! Gruyere is certainly not smelly at all. Perhaps there is more than one type of Munster?

Back
Top Bottom