Recipe Carrot, Coriander & Chickpea Burgers

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:06 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Another recipe in another unknown magazine again... (I really must start ensuring I know where they come from! And I have to confess that I haven't yet made these!

Ingredients
400g tin chickpeas
1 tbsp veg oil
2 onions
75g breadcrumbs (white/brown/wholemeal)
300g carrots grated
14g fresh coriander chopped (half a small pack in the UK)
2 tbsp Harissa paste
1 medium egg

Method
  • Drain the chickpeas and crush to a paste or use a food processor.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onions until soft and slightly browned.
  • In a bowl, add the crushed chickpeas, the breadcrumbs, onions, carrots, coriander and a little seasoning.
  • Mix the harissa paste with a beaten egg and stir into the carrot mixture.
  • Divide the mixture into 6 balls with your hands and flatten each into a burger shape.
  • Chill for 20 minutes before cooking.
  • Fry or BBQ the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side until golden.

These sound like they would be tasty, but I am not sure what Harrisa paste is? I am assuming it is something that vegetarians know about, but I have never heard of it. Over the last few years, I have come to enjoy vegetarian burgers much more than those made with hamburger meat. There is much more flavor to them. I still have to have a real cheeseburger when I go out to eat, but when we eat them at home, I will take a vegetarian burger anytime.

but I am not sure what Harrisa paste is?
Harissa paste is something you can buy off the shelf in the supermarket in a jar and rather like marmite, a little goes a long way. The BBC Good Food has this on it (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/harissa)

This hot, aromatic paste made from chilli and assorted other spices and herbs is spicy and fragrant. It's widely used in North African and Middle Eastern cuisines as a condiment, or mixed with water or tomato juice to flavour stews, soups or couscous. In North Africa it's also sometimes served in a pool of olive oil, into which to dip bread. As it's strong and pungent, a little goes a long way.
Shop-bought varieties are ready to use straight away, unless they're the powdered type (see above). It's also possible to make your own with a food processor; a basic recipe includes dried red chilles, garlic, salt, fresh coriander, caraway seeds and olive oil but you can also add smoked paprika, cumin and mint. If possible, leave to stand for around 12 hours before using, to allow the flavours to develop.

These sound like they would be tasty, but I am not sure what Harrisa paste is? I am assuming it is something that vegetarians know about, but I have never heard of it.

Its not particularly a vegetarian thing. Its a classic North African paste usually served with meat tagines. You will only like it if you like things hot and spicy! :pepper:I often make it from scratch. I'll post the recipe. I also buy it in tubes or small cans which are produced in Tunisia. This brand will give you the authentic taste. They look like this:

harissa .jpg

The supermarket versions are a pale imitation. But a home-made one will rock your socks! :woot:

you'll have to write up the recipe, we need some more.

A burger wrapped Wellington style would be extremely good I bet. Please do share this recipe with all of us if you can. I was just watching Chef Gordan Ramsey make a beef Wellington the other night and was drooling. The only part that turned me off was the mushroom paste because I do not like mushrooms. A veggie Wellington sounds very good too!

This acutally sounds pretty good and a healthy alternative to the meat patties. I love how there are different varieties of veggie burgers out there and you just have to be creative about it. For me I love my patties with a lot of mushrooms and soy gravy.

A burger wrapped Wellington style would be extremely good I bet. Please do share this recipe with all of us if you can. I was just watching Chef Gordan Ramsey make a beef Wellington the other night and was drooling. The only part that turned me off was the mushroom paste because I do not like mushrooms. A veggie Wellington sounds very good too!
Like this you mean Vegetarian Wellington

This sounds like a great burger, as a vegan I would probably use either a little chickpea flour, aquafaba (chickpea/bean water) or egg replacer instead of egg :) I think I will try making this tonight!

Chickpeas are one of those things that I always seem to have in my cupboards but often don't really know what to do with. Coriander is a favorite so I should give these a whirl. Plus they sound healthy which is a nice change from most usual burgers out there!

Back
Top Bottom