Recipe Cheddar Apple Pie Ice Cream

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:21 PM
2021-06-02-20-39-27-jpg.jpg

Makes 4 smallish servings, about 2 scoops each. Recipe can be increased easily. I just didn't want to make too much since I'd never made anything like this before.

It tastes exactly like its name.

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup half and half
3/8 cup sugar
Pinch salt
3 large egg yolks, room temperature
4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan over medium-low, heat the cream, half and half, sugar and salt until the sugar has dissolved, whisking constantly,

Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour a small amount of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk. Add a little more cream mixture and whisk, then whisk the custard/egg mixture into the remaining cream mixture in the saucepan. Whisk nearly constantly and cook the custard over medium-low to medium heat until the custard coats the back of a spoon and you can swipe a clear track with your fingertip. Do NOT allow mixture to boil.

Once the mixture has thickened enough, remove from heat and stir in the grated cheddar. Return saucepan to stove and whisk over low heat until all of the cheese has melted. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and whisk to incorporate.

You can, at this point, pass the custard mix through a strainer if you have lumps and want to get rid of them.

Allow the mixture to cool some, then cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap to avoid it forming a skin. Place saucepan in refrigerator and chill for a minimum of 6 hours, preferably overnight.

Apple pie filling mix

1 Tbsp butter, cubed
1/8 cup light brown sugar
1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced, Granny Smith or Honey Crisp
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Small pinch each of ground allspice, cloves, and ground ginger.
Small pinch of salt
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp lemon juice

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add diced apple, spices, and salt. Mix to evenly distribute spices. Cook until apple cubes are crisp tender. Remove skillet from heat. Add cornstarch and lemon juice. Mix well. Return to heat and cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool some, place in a covered container and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.

Pie pastry dough

5/8 cup AP flour
pinch of salt
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 to 2 Tbsp ice cold water

2-1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon or to taste, I prefer a light cinnamon taste

Mix flour and salt. Cut butter into flour with a fork, your fingertips or a pastry cutter until only small pieces of butter remain. Add 1 Tbsp ice water and stir, adding a little additional ice water as needed until a dough forms. Form dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.

Preheat oven to 375 F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out into about a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 1/2 inch wide by 2 inches long strips. Do not discard the rough edges. You will be using them. Cut the rough edges into small bie-sized pieces. Place the small pieces and the strips on a foil or parchment covered baking sheet. Heavily sprinkle the cinnamon sugar onto the pastry pieces, dividing evenly, then press down lightly into the dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until done and just starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

How to finish ice cream

Follow the manufacturer's directions for custard based ice creams if you are using an ice cream machine.

If you do not have an ice cream maker, you may make it in the freezer. Remove the custard from the refrigerator and, using a hand-held mixer set on medium-high, whip the custard until it has increased in volume by about 1/3 to 1/2. You need to do this so the ice cream won't be too dense. Cover the bowl and place in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove, whip the custard again with the mixer and return to the freezer for 45 minutes. After the 45 minutes has passed, remove the bowl and scrape the edges and bottom, then whip again. Repeat as needed until you get to a soft serve consistency.

Break up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pie pastry pieces into bite-size pieces. Fold them and the apple pie filling into the custard mixture. Cover and return to freezer until ready to serve. The ice cream will freeze pretty hard so may need to thaw some before serving. Allow it to stand 10-15 minutes at room temperature until soft enough to scoop. Serve with 2 or 3 of the pie pastry cookies.

Last edited:
Absolutely fascinating. I admire you for making this. You say it tastes like its name but I simply can't imagine how that would be!

Lots of people put cheddar in the pie pasty dough. Some put slices or chunks of cheese on warm/hot pie. Some crumble/grate cheese on top of the filling before baking. Some simply eat cheddar with their apple pie.

Even your Paul Hollywood makes it, as well as it supposedly being fairly common in the U.K. I'm surprised you've never heard of it or had it.

Lots of people put cheddar in the pie pasty dough. Some put slices or chunks of cheese on warm/hot pie. Some crumble/grate cheese on top of the filling before baking. Some simply eat cheddar with their apple pie.

Even your Paul Hollywood makes it, as well as it supposedly being fairly common in the U.K. I'm surprised you've never heard of it or had it.
I have a cheddar-apple pie I'm making, but it likely won't be in time for the challenge, but that's ok.

Cheddar with apple pie...I'd heard of it growing up, but never actually seen one live. It's not common in the Midwest, but it's not completely unknown, either. I know of two places in Cincy that have/had it on the menu.

I've always associated it with the northeastern part of the US/New England. My FIL always had a chunk of cheddar with his apple pie, or a thick slice melted on top. He was born and raised and lived nearly all his life in New York.

I never ran across it in the UK, but that doesn't mean anything. I may have and just not noticed it, as it's not something I'd normally order, though I'm not opposed to it.

I think that ice cream is a fantastic idea, and I don't even like ice cream.

When we were still SCUBA diving and making multiple dives a day, we'd take snacks to help with flagging energy. One of our favorites was cheddar, apple slices and slices of the Hebrew National chub of salami. It was a perfect snack with a protein, fat and slow releasing sugar from the apple.

I don't think its very common in the UK. I've heard of it but never tried it.

...Paul Hollywood uses Wensleydale which is a very different cheese from Cheddar. I think it may be a Yorkshire speciality which Is maybe why I haven't had it. Wensleydale is mild and rather sweet but with a tang.

This isn't a criticism of your recipe, BTW!

...Paul Hollywood uses Wensleydale which is a very different cheese from Cheddar. I think it may be a Yorkshire speciality which Is maybe why I haven't had it. Wensleydale is mild and rather sweet but with a tang.

This isn't a criticism of your recipe, BTW!
The recipe I saw called for that cheese or cheddar, which is why I mentioned him/it.

It might have been somebody else's recipe based on his, really don't remember as I was surfing and looking at a lot of things, and I'm not even sure which device I was on, and not going to search history of 3 devices.

Course not! I was just curious.

A lot of people just put deli sliced cheddar cheese on top of an apple pie. But, when the pie cools, you end up with a greasy layer of dried out yellow stuff on top of your pie.

Integrating the cheddar into a pie would surely taste better.

Now that the recipe challenge is closed, I can comment. This is one of the entries I really wish I could taste.

CD

This is a heck of a culinary achievement, medtran49. You didn’t just make an ice cream and sprinkle in some apple pie flavors. You made ice cream and integrated an apple pie into it. I first thought that 4 ounces of cheddar was not much, but as you said you made a relatively small quantity. Making ice cream itself is not a lot of work, but also making the pie components means you spent a lot of time in care putting it together. This seems to be time well spent.

This is a heck of a culinary achievement, medtran49. You didn’t just make an ice cream and sprinkle in some apple pie flavors. You made ice cream and integrated an apple pie into it. I first thought that 4 ounces of cheddar was not much, but as you said you made a relatively small quantity. Making ice cream itself is not a lot of work, but also making the pie components means you spent a lot of time in care putting it together. This seems to be time well spent.

Thank you. It wasn't too bad. I made the custard and the apple pie filling the day before, then made the pastry while the ice cream was freezing.

Back
Top Bottom