Recipe Cheese & Jalapeño Omelette with Tomato Salsa

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:08 PM
Strong cheddar and melty mild mozzarella with pickled hot jalapeño peppers make up this spicy omelette filling. The tomato salsa adds a fresh tangy contrast. I used chives and fresh oregano in the salsa as its what I had to hand, but coriander leaves would be good (probably better!). I usually make omelettes in a quite specific way (as described below) which is a French method but you could of course make the omelette your way.

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 - 3 eggs per omelette, depending on the egg size
A splash of cold water
Oil or butter to fry
20g strong cheddar cheese, grated
60g mozzarella, shredded
6 - 8 slices of pickled jalapeño pepper, chopped
5 - 6 baby tomatoes
¼ of a red onion
Chives and fresh oregano, chopped
Juice of half a small lime
Salt to taste

Method (per omelette)
  1. Mix together the cheese and chopped jalapeños.
  2. Chop the tomatoes and onion into small dice. Place in a small bowl and add the herbs and lime juice. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
  3. Beat the eggs together with a splash of cold water.
  4. Heat the oil or butter in a non-stick pan and add the beaten eggs. Wait until the edges of the egg begin to ‘frill’. Using a fork, gently drag the edges of the omelette towards the middle, tilting the pan as you go so that the uncooked egg runs to the edge of the pan. Repeat until the omelette is nearly cooked. This should only take a few minutes.
  5. Add half the cheese and jalapeño mixture to one half of the omelette, leaving a margin at the edge. Using a fork or spatula, fold the other half of the omelette over the filling. Let it cook for a little longer so that the cheese melts.
  6. Roll or slide the omelette onto a plate and serve with the salsa.

Last edited:
I like the technique on your omelette. I've never tried adding cold water to the egg, but I assume that's meant to help it spread more quickly in the pan?

I don't know if it does spread it more quickly but it might do. I was taught to do it this way by a French chef. He said the splash of water made the omelette lighter - and I think it does. Try it and see what you think. Bear in mind I make very loose omelettes which are browned on the outside and soft, almost runny inside.

Strong cheddar and melty mild mozzarella with pickled hot jalapeño peppers make up this spicy omelette filling. The tomato salsa adds a fresh tangy contrast. I used chives and fresh oregano in the salsa as its what I had to hand, but coriander leaves would be good (probably better!). I usually make omelettes in a quite specific way (as described below) which is a French method but you could of course make the omelette your way.

View attachment 40185

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 - 3 eggs per omelette, depending on the egg size
A splash of cold water
Oil or butter to fry
20g strong cheddar cheese, grated
60g mozzarella, shredded
6 - 8 slices of pickled jalapeño pepper, chopped
5 - 6 baby tomatoes
¼ of a red onion
Chives and fresh oregano, chopped
Juice of half a small lime
Salt to taste

Method (per omelette)
  1. Mix together the cheese and chopped jalapeños.
  2. Chop the tomatoes and onion into small dice. Place in a small bowl and add the herbs and lime juice. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
  3. Beat the eggs together with a splash of cold water.
  4. Heat the oil or butter in a non-stick pan and add the beaten eggs. Wait until the edges of the egg begin to ‘frill’. Using a fork, gently drag the edges of the omelette towards the middle, tilting the pan as you go so that the uncooked egg runs to the edge of the pan. Repeat until the omelette is nearly cooked. This should only take a few minutes.
  5. Add half the cheese and jalapeño mixture to one half of the omelette, leaving a margin at the edge. Using a fork or spatula, fold the other half of the omelette over the filling. Let it cook for a little longer so that the cheese melts.
  6. Roll or slide the omelette onto a plate and serve with the salsa.

View attachment 40186
Free range eggs ? Nice and yellow. Never had salsa with an omelette, but I'd try.

Russ

Free range eggs ? Nice and yellow. Never had salsa with an omelette, but I'd try.

Russ

Yes they are free range - the eggs I used here are from the specific breed Burford Brown (available Sainsbury's, Morrisons , Waitrose and Ocado). For preference I use The Black Farmer eggs which are even brighter yellow (available only from Ocado to my knowledge). I'm posting up a salad today using the latter so you will see.

Very common in Texas. Do try it!
I didn't know that. I thought I'd come up with it all by myself! Well in fact, I did I suppose as I had no idea.

I think salsa with eggs escaped Texas quite a while and has become fairly mainstream around the US. Just about any place that offers omelettes will have one made with salsa, unimaginatively named something like "South Of The Border Omelette" or whatever.

Really? I know salsa is big in Texas, a friend makes it by the gallon.

Russ
Fresh salsa, like Pico de Gallo (pronounced Guy O), is only good for a couple days. Unless your friend has a lot of folks eating it, I wouldn't suggest making so much. Now green and red chili sauce is a different thing.

Fresh salsa, like Pico de Gallo (pronounced Guy O), is only good for a couple days. Unless your friend has a lot of folks eating it, I wouldn't suggest making so much. Now green and red chili sauce is a different thing.

Think he smokes it then stores in jars.?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom