• 50 mm Cinnamon stick, broken up
  • 2 Green cardamoms
  • 2 Cloves
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tblsp Olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced finely
  • Chopped fresh coriander leaf

Do-piaza literally means "double onions".

Method

Liquidise the chopped onion, ginger and garlic with a little olive oil. Heat the remaining oil and stir fry the onion/ginger/garlic for 5 minutes.

Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli powder and paprika and stir fry for a further 5 minutes. Add a little of the tomato juice if the mixture dries out.

Add the chicken and stir fry for a few minutes.

Add the water, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, salt and the remainder of the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.

Heat 1 tblsp olive oil and fry the sliced onion for about 5 minutes. Add them to the chicken, remove from the heat and stir in the coriander leaf.

Based upon an original recipe by Mridula Baljekar

This is a lovely dish. The onions added at the end provide a lovely texture and sweetness. I note that you didn't caramelise the onions at the beginning. I note this because I coincidentally made a Dopiaza at the same time as you did and I did caramelise them. Whether this makes a huge difference I'm not sure.

Reactions: mjd
This is a lovely dish. The onions added at the end provide a lovely texture and sweetness. I note that you didn't caramelise the onions at the beginning. I note this because I coincidentally made a Dopiaza at the same time as you did and I did caramelise them. Whether this makes a huge difference I'm not sure.

I have no idea also. However, I am unaware of any Indian dish that requires the onions to be caramelised. Not in my experience anyway.

I have no idea also. However, I am unaware of any Indian dish that requires the onions to be caramelised. Not in my experience anyway.

Really? I often (more often than not) caramelise them for curries. I don't think its unusual at all for Indian recipes to do this. Now I feel compelled to check...

...random check on an Indian website (excellent website, by the way). Typed in vindaloo and found this straight away.

Goan Chicken Vindaloo Recipe

(extract)
The next step is to make the curry for the chicken vindaloo. Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy bottomed pan
Once the oil is hot, add the green chillies and onions. Let it cook till the onions become golden brown.

I'm gonna try this recipe at the weekend. Do these quantities do enough for 2 people?
I need to feed 5 hungry mouths with it so presuming I simply multiply x5?

It looks lovely and as I detest tomatoes is one I can edit them out to some extent.

I'm gonna try this recipe at the weekend. Do these quantities do enough for 2 people?

The quantities in that recipe are good for 3 or even 4 portions if supplemented with rice and/or potatoes, roti or naan bread.

Ingredients
  • 750 gm Chicken breast, cut into 200 x 50 mm pieces
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp Ginger, grated
  • 6 Garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tblsp Olive oil
  • ½ tsp Turmeric
  • ½ tsp ground Coriander seeds
  • ½ tsp ground Cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp Chilli powder
  • ½ tsp Paprika
  • 200 gm Tomatoes, chopped
  • 80 ml Warm water
  • 50 mm Cinnamon stick, broken up
  • 2 Green cardamoms
  • 2 Cloves
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tblsp Olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced finely
  • Chopped fresh coriander leaf

Do-piaza literally means "double onions".

Method

Liquidise the chopped onion, ginger and garlic with a little olive oil. Heat the remaining oil and stir fry the onion/ginger/garlic for 5 minutes.

Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli powder and paprika and stir fry for a further 5 minutes. Add a little of the tomato juice if the mixture dries out.

Add the chicken and stir fry for a few minutes.

Add the water, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, salt and the remainder of the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.

Heat 1 tblsp olive oil and fry the sliced onion for about 5 minutes. Add them to the chicken, remove from the heat and stir in the coriander leaf.

Based upon an original recipe by Mridula Baljekar

Very nice recipe, bookmarked.
And thank you for explaining what 'Do-Piaza' means, I didn't know it.

Really? I often (more often than not) caramelise them for curries. I don't think its unusual at all for Indian recipes to do this. Now I feel compelled to check...

If I'm stir frying chopped onions for a curry, I brown them. Some burn a little but I think that's unavoidable. If I am frying the onions for a hot dog or for an onion gravy, I'll brown them even more.

If I'm stir frying liquidised onion, garlic and ginger paste, I wait until it changes colour to a light green (about 5 minutes on medium heat). Then add the ground spices (usually coriander, cumin, turmeric and dried chilis (and sometimes paprika for colour)) and stir fry for another 5 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom