Christmas 2019 - Misc

I went out for a walk earlier, a lovely evening, everywhere is really getting into the festive spirit, however I do not like flashing lights on trees or outside.

Well. I started.

Two strands of lights outdoors so far. A third strand goes out tonight. (I was pretty busy yesterday so that's what I got to prior to 'too dark'.)

One of the things I discovered is that the small "fairy" lights are barely seen from the road at this house. Long driveway. So I got three strands of larger battery operated lights for outdoors, and am discovering I should order a few more. I'll be using some of the smaller battery operated lights along the porch railing, however - once I knock off the snow accumulations.

We have received our first Christmas card of the year and bought 2 presents.

As of Thursday, I have three holiday (some are Christmas, some are not) cards. A lot of my friends are like myself, not Christian, but we still love the card idea. So - not being PC in either direction, but just being accurate.

I realize another reason some of the rest of the battery operated outdoor lights aren't outside yet - I'm out of Double AA batteries. I'll be getting more tomorrow. What I'd like to find in this size of light are strands of just one color. Right now I'm finding either All White (which is what I have) or multi everything. I'd love to be able to use the large size with white and with red accents. Or White and Green.

I have some other sets that use D batteries (my small "fairy" bulbs), of which I have plenty, but where I want to put those, the ice is pretty compacted. That will change over the next couple days, as the weather will change accordingly.

I went out for a walk earlier, a lovely evening, everywhere is really getting into the festive spirit, however I do not like flashing lights on trees or outside.

By and large, I agree, but I am fine with (and use) slow fade flashing lights outside. A gentle twinkle is fine, too. Inside, typically no flash.
I don't want lights, interior or exterior, to look like I'm advertising motel space, or something.

By and large, I agree, but I am fine with (and use) slow fade flashing lights outside. A gentle twinkle is fine, too. Inside, typically no flash.
I don't want lights, interior or exterior, to look like I'm advertising motel space, or something.
On our tree, we have one string of white mini "base" lights, and every fifth one gently fades in and out. On top of that are multicolored C9's that are steady. That tiny bit of twinkle makes all the difference.

On our tree, we have one string of white mini "base" lights, and every fifth one gently fades in and out. On top of that are multicolored C9's that are steady. That tiny bit of twinkle makes all the difference.

That's the sort of interior flashing lights I enjoy - twinkles, slow fades, and certainly not all at the same time - having just some is best!

When I was recovering from knee surgery (and couldn't drive), I painted four houses intended for the holiday season of 2018. These were painted early in 2018, and I put them out last winter, and they're now out for this winter. They're on the mantle. My entire décor for the mantle is not ready for a full photo, but here are my two favorite buildings I painted (originals were all white, I used acrylic paints.)

The Inn:

xmas the inn-.jpg

The Pet Shop:
xmas-pet shop-.jpg

The other two buildings I painted are The Tavern and The Courthouse. I have a pre-made BBQ joint one, and I hope I can pick up another building when I am down in Connecticut Wednesday. Unfortunately, I can't find more of the paintable ones on line. They were fun to do.

When I was recovering from knee surgery (and couldn't drive), I painted four houses intended for the holiday season of 2018. These were painted early in 2018, and I put them out last winter, and they're now out for this winter. They're on the mantle. My entire décor for the mantle is not ready for a full photo, but here are my two favorite buildings I painted (originals were all white, I used acrylic paints.)

The Inn:

View attachment 35552

The Pet Shop:
View attachment 35553

The other two buildings I painted are The Tavern and The Courthouse. I have a pre-made BBQ joint one, and I hope I can pick up another building when I am down in Connecticut Wednesday. Unfortunately, I can't find more of the paintable ones on line. They were fun to do.
Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom