Christmas 2022

The Epic Beer Advent Calendar 2022 | 25 Exclusive Beers | Free Delivery
I´ve stopped buying beer like this. The last lot I bought was so gross, I ended up ditching all but two of them. You get one or two that are all right, but then all of a sudden, you get some absolutely appalling combination calling itself "Stout" , matured in a pickle barrel, and with added coffee, chocolate and "seasonal spices" - cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. YUK and triple yuk. Nest thing we know, there´ll be a ·"Japanese IPA" with wasabi, umami and shiitake mushrooms in it. :eek: :eek: :eek: I really enjoy a good IPA, Brown ale, Porter, Pilsen, etc. but don´t go sodding around sticking wierd things in it. If it ain´t broke, don´t fix it!

Yay! I can start my advent calendars today.

Today a small jar of honey mustard, and caramel chocolate spread.

Last edited:
So my advent calendar went up this afternoon once I had the chocolates wrapped. If you look carefully you'll see that there is a row of empty pockets. They are the Booja Booja chocolates which being made in the UK, melt very easily in the Australian spring and summer and autumn and... They were already reshaped (aka melted and cooled and no longer their original dimensions), so as always once they were wrapped, they have to go into the fridge. So all if them look identical (I just use different wrapping paper so I know which ones need to go into the fridge) and it's a case of choose a packet from the fridge on that day...

And no I've still no got the hang of the first day of summer being the first day of advent.

So my advent calendar went up this afternoon once I had the chocolates wrapped. If you look carefully you'll see that there is a row of empty pockets. They are the Booja Booja chocolates which being made in the UK, melt very easily in the Australian spring and summer and autumn and... They were already reshaped (aka melted and cooled and no longer their original dimensions), so as always once they were wrapped, they have to go into the fridge. So all if them look identical (I just use different wrapping paper so I know which ones need to go into the fridge) and it's a case of choose a packet from the fridge on that day...

View attachment 93156

And no I've still no got the hang of the first day of summer being the first day of advent.

My mom has one very much like that. She fills her's with Milk Bones for the dog. :laugh:

CD

I´m curious. All these Advent calendars - how many of you are practising Christians?
No, not here. But I still decorate the house on the last weekend before Christmas and wrap presents and give them away (no religious decorations though). I was christened CofE by one of my uncles who was a vicar but my ex-stepfather and both sets of grandparents were Methodist as are my husband's family and I worked in a CofE school for 7 years. My step-brother's ex is Jewish, their 2 kids are practising Jews and my brother very nearly married a Muslim woman. We don't discriminate in this household! I'm just as happy to have Friday or Saturday off as I am a Sunday and all 3 is even better.

Personally I prefer to 'celebrate' the solstices. It means more to me.

Well - here´s another one!! I was brung up singing in the church choir from age 5. probably went to Eucharist, Matins and evensong 50 Sundays out of 52, for 15 years, then ended up singing evensong every single day except Tuesdays during my first year at uni. And all of a sudden - stopped.
But it´s curious how we cling to religious items and ceremonies. A White wedding? The local priest at the funeral? (and advent calendars, of course...)

What is it? Beef?
No, it’s rum-soaked fruit.

You start in June (around here) with strawberries, cut them up and add sugar, let them sit a bit, then into a pot with a bottle of dark rum.

Every month, you add a new fruit as it comes into season; peaches, raspberries, cherries, etc. Top off with rum to keep everything covered.

November…add your last fruit (usually it’s pineapple), and then come December, just in time for the holidays, you have a wonderful fruity liqueur to warm up the cold nights, and a nice boozy fruit compote to serve with ice cream, or pound cake, or even with game. It also makes a great homemade gift.

The only thing I messed up with this one is that I forgot the pineapple!

Back
Top Bottom