Christmas 2022

I just finished making my Christmas/End-of-Year donations, and wanted to encourage CB members to support food related organizations.

I am a regular supporter of the North Texas Food Bank, and hope you will consider supporting your local food banks, as they provide free food to people in need.

I also support World Central Kitchen, an organization that provides hot meals for people hurt by natural disasters and wars. They are currently providing meals to people in Ukraine, as Vladimir Putin continues to target civilians both directly, by bombing their homes, and indirectly by bombing the Ukrainian energy infrastructure during the coldest time of winter.

World Central Kitchen was started by renowned Spanish-American chef José Andrés, and does amazing work. José Andrés - Wikipedia

If you have some money to spare, you may also want to support this forum.

CD

Last edited:
I just finished making my Christmas/End-of-Year donations, and wanted to encourage CB members to support food related organizations.
Excellent. An easy way to give to a local food bank, and something we do, is to keep a box in the kitchen that you can easily carry. Every time you go shopping, just pick up an extra can of soup or box of cereal and stick it in that box when you get home.

Once the box is full, throw it in the car and drop it by the food shelf. Easy!

Well said caseydog and TastyReuben ... I too donate food items to our local food bank year round, in fact I have a bag of stuff that I need to take over there ... I'll wait until Monday.
I watch for non-perishables that go on sale dirt cheap and collect those.
We also have a discount food store here in Cowboyville that I frequent.
I once got some of those Restaurant supply sized containers of Rolled Oats, I want to say it was about 3 pounds per, I paid 50¢ each!!!
I gave 4 to the food bank and keep one for myself, in fact I still have just a few servings of it left in the deep freeze.

Last of the advent items 😢

198C8B2E-D467-4BD9-84B6-86B5A6AA34BF.jpeg

Excellent. An easy way to give to a local food bank, and something we do, is to keep a box in the kitchen that you can easily carry. Every time you go shopping, just pick up an extra can of soup or box of cereal and stick it in that box when you get home.

We donate food every month & also support the national poverty aid fund. I have been poor most of my life due to disabilities, so I know what it's like and think it's important year round. Not just with Christmas.

I am a regular supporter of the North Texas Food Bank, and hope you will consider supporting your local food banks, as they provide free food to people in need.

I also support World Central Kitchen, an organization that provides hot meals for people hurt by natural disasters and wars. They are currently providing meals to people in Ukraine, as Vladimir Putin continues to target civilians both directly, by bombing their homes, and indirectly by bombing the Ukrainian energy infrastructure during the coldest time of winter.

World Central Kitchen was started by renowned Spanish-American chef José Andrés, and does amazing work. José Andrés - Wikipedia

If you have some money to spare, you may also want to support this forum.

CD

Every week I take between 5 and 7½ dozen eggs to the local 'town's' food bank. I've been doing it for many years now and basically it's all my spare eggs. They have an arrangement with the local butcher who gives meat and sausages every week. The local grocer will give fruit and some veg, so that's usually covered as well.

At Christmas we also talk to the local food bank and see what they are shortest on and need the most. It is often not what you'd expect: tinned fruit, tinned baked beans, tinned tomatoes, longlife full cream milk (they can't get rid of the semi skinned or skimmed milk at all), kilo bags of white sugar, toiletries and so on. Many people think it's the 'special' stuff that's needed especially around this time of year, but it isn't and certainly wasn't this year.

We try each week to put one item extra into our shopping. I'll make sure it's something on offer at the supermarket and if it's half price, I'll get 2 of them. They get delivered with the eggs when I'm next in that town (usually weekly). And we buy extra using the Christmas points converted to cash in December. We collected over $500 of points this year, so didn't mind using $100 of those for specific items requested by the food bank.

Plus this Christmas hubby suggested a food tree at his (new) work place (his UK company office is now in the American company's office, in the Australian capital (please keep you there are the back, there's a test at the end)) instead of a normal tree. Staff were encouraged to leave food there and on the last Friday before Christmas Eve, it was taken to one of Canberra's food banks.

Hubby bought me a new smartphone, a vegan Asian cookbook I'd forgotten I'd sent him a link to, 2 assemble yourself 3D printed cardboard statues, a case for the smartphone, a pile remover for wollen clothing, a sweater/cardigan drier (I'd asked for) and a set of dedicated darning needles with a slightly bent tip (for getting under the yarn more easily when darning in ends). I'll add photos tomorrow.

I got him a new Samsung tablet, 3 books of a series he's reading (2 of the 5 I bought had to be returned after his last trip away when he finished one and bought the next two :banghead: so I switched those for a book token at the bookshop which they helpfully allowed me to do). He also got a new my side, your side pillow set after his side finally gave up after roughly 15-20 years use. I hadn't realised until they were delivered from the UK, that the your side is now much smaller than previously... the original set were ⅔rds of his pillow being his side and ⅓rd being my side. It's now much closer to ½ of his side is marked as your side and then I get ½ of his side and all of my side being my side. :whistling:
I got him a few other little things including a wombat bookmark (wooden) and a platypus carved tree decoration plus some chocolate...

Hi guys, just wanted to take a minute to wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy year, most of all good health! These days people don't spend much time or thought on some personal words to their friends and family, they just copy and paste some random message and send it on. So after all we've been though together this year I want to thank you for your friendship and wish you a happy and fulfilling 2018 - you’re the best gymnastics group anyone could ask for. Best wishes, Phil.

Back
Top Bottom