SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:38 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I love the simplicity of this recipe.
Quantities really do not need to be exact and if you want to use dairy milk and dairy butter, it really won't affect it.
The original recipe says to peel the potatoes, but I can tell you now that that is not necessary at all. The greens can be pretty much any dark greens. In the UK we live making this with 'spring greens' which are cheap. I can't have Savoy cabbage so they are a great alternative. Kale is great and i often include spinach as well if i need to make up the weight. Use all of the leek, even the greens. It really doesn't matter.... we add nutmeg to ours which isn't traditional but is nice.

Ingredients
750g potatoes, chopped into even sized pieces
750g kale or dark cabbage (or even spinach)
2 or 3 leeks, sliced into ½-1cm slices.
125ml soya milk
Salt & pepper
4tbsp olive oil (you can sub butter here)
½ freshly grated Nutmeg (optional)

Method
  1. Boil the tatties until soft and almost falling apart. How long depends on the size you diced them... 10-20 minutes roughly. Drain and return to the cooking pan and allow them to dry in situ using the residual heat from the pan.
  2. Add 1cm water to another pan and either steam or boil the kale/cabbage until well cooked. This recipe needs the kale cooked for much longer than normal. When cooked you need to drain the kale and remove as much water from it as possible. When it is drained and cool enough to handle, transfer to a chopping board and chop it reasonably well.
  3. Meanwhile also add the soya milk and leeks to a 3rd pan and cook until tender (5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and do not drain.
  4. Add the oil to the potatoes and mash them in the pan they are in. How well you mash them again is entirely up to you so if you want a lumpy Colcannon, don't over mash the potatoes! Now season with salt, pepper and nutmeg if using.
  5. Add the leeks (and milk) and the kale to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Ensure that the Colcannon is hot and serve.
  6. This next step is optional, but over the years, we have found that reheating the Colcannon in an oven for about 30 minutes improves the flavour considerably.

I have just (about 2 hours ago) made colcannon but without the cabbage (just potatoes, onions, milk, butter and seasoning - I didn't have any green stuff). Two hours later, pan fried to accompany a few pork sausages.

That's Champ when you don't add the greens...

I love the simplicity of this recipe.
Quantities really do not need to be exact and if you want to use dairy milk and dairy butter, it really won't affect it.
The original recipe says to peel the potatoes, but I can tell you now that that is not necessary at all. The greens can be pretty much any dark greens. In the UK we live making this with 'spring greens' which are cheap. I can't have Savoy cabbage so they are a great alternative. Kale is great and i often include spinach as well if i need to make up the weight. Use all of the leek, even the greens. It really doesn't matter.... we add nutmeg to ours which isn't traditional but is nice.

Ingredients
750g potatoes, chopped into even sized pieces
750g kale or dark cabbage (or even spinach)
2 or 3 leeks, sliced into ½-1cm slices.
125ml soya milk
Salt & pepper
4tbsp olive oil (you can sub butter here)
½ freshly grated Nutmeg (optional)

Method
  1. Boil the tatties until soft and almost falling apart. How long depends on the size you diced them... 10-20 minutes roughly. Drain and return to the cooking pan and allow them to dry in situ using the residual heat from the pan.
  2. Add 1cm water to another pan and either steam or boil the kale/cabbage until well cooked. This recipe needs the kale cooked for much longer than normal. When cooked you need to drain the kale and remove as much water from it as possible. When it is drained and cool enough to handle, transfer to a chopping board and chop it reasonably well.
  3. Meanwhile also add the soya milk and leeks to a 3rd pan and cook until tender (5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and do not drain.
  4. Add the oil to the potatoes and mash them in the pan they are in. How well you mash them again is entirely up to you so if you want a lumpy Colcannon, don't over mash the potatoes! Now season with salt, pepper and nutmeg if using.
  5. Add the leeks (and milk) and the kale to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Ensure that the Colcannon is hot and serve.
  6. This next step is optional, but over the years, we have found that reheating the Colcannon in an oven for about 30 minutes improves the flavour considerably.

I love how there are many options to substitute ingredients. It is such a good option to put together greens and potatoes, thinking the kid would accept the brussel sprouts more easily If I do them this way, otherwise she likes all greens, no problem. Rarely anyone does not like potatoes. The addition of egg and baking it is really creative. I love marrows. Great combination.

I have just (about 2 hours ago) made colcannon but without the cabbage (just potatoes, onions, milk, butter and seasoning - I didn't have any green stuff). Two hours later, pan fried to accompany a few pork sausages.

Looks delicious. And reminds me of a favourite dish of my Dad's, as in one of two he would cook, to perfection. The onions do enrich the dish.

The addition of egg and baking it is really creative.

In the past when frying bubble and squeak I've made an indentation in the potato mixture (not down to the pan surface) and broken an egg into it. Then covered the pan and "steamed" the egg. I works better with chicken eggs as duck eggs are so bloody large.

In the past when frying bubble and squeak I've made an indentation in the potato mixture (not down to the pan surface) and broken an egg into it. Then covered the pan and "steamed" the egg. I works better with chicken eggs as duck eggs are so bloody large.

Splendid! I will do so too. From now on. It is a simple and effective way of enriching the dish with all the goodness an egg offers.

Back
Top Bottom