Cold Cuts for Everybody

health benefits, (as you've written in another thread).
Not me Hemmers darling. I think my only comment about health and food is that as we are careful what we buy and how we cook it. I learned what a load of bollocks healthy foods comments are when I had kidney stones removed and the dietitian stopped me eating these unhealthy foods .

Foods high in oxalate include:

• Beans.
  • Beets.
  • Berries.
  • Chocolate.
  • Coffee.
  • Cranberries.
  • Dark green vegetables, such as spinach, Chard, French bean, etc
  • Nuts.
  • Oranges.
  • Rhubarb.
  • Soy beans.
  • Soy milk.
  • Spinach.
  • Sweet potatoes.
  • Tea (black).
  • Tofu.
  • Wheat bran.
  • Tomatoes
  • Red Peppers
  • When I told her I had a garden full of the evil veg, she replied give it away and grow only potatoes next year.

Not me Hemmers darling. I think my only comment about health and food is that as we are careful what we buy and how we cook it. I learned what a load of bollocks healthy foods comments are when I had kidney stones removed and the dietitian stopped me eating these unhealthy foods .

Foods high in oxalate include:

• Beans.
  • Beets.
  • Berries.
  • Chocolate.
  • Coffee.
  • Cranberries.
  • Dark green vegetables, such as spinach, Chard, French bean, etc
  • Nuts.
  • Oranges.
  • Rhubarb.
  • Soy beans.
  • Soy milk.
  • Spinach.
  • Sweet potatoes.
  • Tea (black).
  • Tofu.
  • Wheat bran.
  • Tomatoes
  • Red Peppers
  • When I told her I had a garden full of the evil veg, she replied give it away and grow only potatoes next year.
:okay: Sorry, you just mentioned that they were healthy. It was mjd who dug deeper into the health benefits of poms.

As I hinted, I'm not one for Bologna and American Cheese.

Condiment favorites include Mustard, Mayo, Salsa, Oil and Balsamic Vinegar and Horse Radish.

Veg Fixins would include Lettuce (different varieties), Roma Tomato, Sprouts, Sweet Peppers, Olives and Onions (white, yellow, sweet or purple).

To the cheeses listed in my original post, I add Feta.

Breads include Wheat Slices, Ciabattas, Sour Dough, Dutch Crunch, Ryes and other Baguettes, Brioches, Boules or Batards, Tortilla or Flatbread Wraps, Pitas and some others.

Woa! I completely forgot about a true favorite - Capicola. Good stuff. And I like Reuben Sandwiches which use Corned Beef. And Bacon is good for Cold Cuts.

FYI: Sprouts include Clover, Alfalfa and Bean. I like Alfalfa best.

FYI: Lettuces are Iceberg, Romaine, Leaf, Butterheads and Crisps. Add to this Belgian Endive Lettuce and the true Endives and Radicchio, plus Spinach Leaves and the Cabbages, Purple, Green and White.

For cold cuts:

Capicola (hot is best), pancetta, pepperoni, hard salami, saprosella,

I like homemade roast beef. Not the store slices so much. Not fond of the ham slices either but those are still better than chicken or turkey slices.

I do try to limit the cold cut consumption for health reasons, but...

Any sliced melt-able cheese is acceptable, though American cheese is at the back end of the list. But even that sometimes works.

I will either eat slices straight up, or as rolls with stuff inside, or on open face toasted sandwiches topped with cheese. Sometimes they end up in other recipes.

I like both San Daniele ham and Speck ham as well as Mortadella, Salame and 'Nduja, but my special mention goes to Finocchiona Toscana, also known as the queen of Tuscan cured meats and is a very old sausage.
Finocchiona is made with parts of the pig's shoulder and belly seasoned with seeds and fennel flowers - fiori di finocchio (hence the name Finocchiona), garlic, salt, pepper and sometimes even red wine.

I like both San Daniele ham and Speck ham as well as Mortadella, Salame and 'Nduja, but my special mention goes to Finocchiona Toscana, also known as the queen of Tuscan cured meats and is a very old sausage.
Finocchiona is made with parts of the pig's shoulder and belly seasoned with seeds and fennel flowers - fiori di finocchio (hence the name Finocchiona), garlic, salt, pepper and sometimes even red wine.

View attachment 51162

I have not had most of these, but would love to try!!!

View attachment 51162

Excellent! Some of these, I had never heard of before. Keep it coming.

I've never found anything anywhere in USA that is a proper German "speck"
A good tip. I don't recall tasting speck although I've traveled in Germany and the Tyrol region. We're more used to Parma ham and Serrano ham. According to internet sources, Tyrolean speck is usually flavored with juniper. Speck is originally from Italy where 29 contemporary producers hold a Speck Alto Adige IGP certificate. Below is a German version which is currently sold in a Finnish wholesale market.
spe.JPG

Photo source

Here are two German salami favorites of mine (Parmesan-coated and garlic-flavored beef Salamis by Bille brand):
bille.jpg
bille_2.jpg

Photo source I Photo source II

Back
Top Bottom