Cold Cuts for Everybody

You mean forcemeat? As I understand it pâtés etc are made using forcemeat rather than being forcemeats. It could be that American/UK definitions vary. Forcemeat is a generic term for a chopped or minced mixture of raw or cooked meat and/or vegetables and/or fish which can then be used to make a variety of produce such as pâtés, stuffings for ravioli, sausages, vol-au-vents etc.

I'm using the classical definition from Larrouse Gastronomique which is the definition used in the UK.

Forgive the pluralization. Etymologically, that's how languages evolve. There's no sense resisting.

I was thinking the same. Minced pork, pork liver, pork fat, peppercorns, brandy etc...

The recipes that I've seen specify cream. I'll need to substitute yoghurt which should not be a problem. It's a big job though.

A Farce " In cooking a “farce” is a type of stuffing made with meat or fish. ... This dramatic genre had its origins in the 13th century practice of interlarding or “stuffing” Latin liturgical texts with explanatory passages in the vernacular.

Aye-O! Let's get the meatloaf on the table.

My mom used to cover her Meatloaf productions with Ketchup. I haven't bought a bottle of Ketchup in years!

...far as I can tell Yorky Ardennes Pâté is more or less the same as Coarse Country Pâté. There is a recipe here by Deila which coul act a a guide. Leave out the juniper as I know you can't get it. Add whatever herbs you want. Do use brandy. That's essential! I really wouldn't use yoghurt.

Coarse Country Pate

The majority of ingredients on her list are obtainable here.

I could substitute fresh basil for thyme. I don't understand why all the pork has to be "British" but obviously that's a no-no. We have excellent pork here (although the bacon is somewhat inferior to Danish). Juniper berries are out, as you say, as is mace (although I don't believe leaving out ¼ teaspoon would be missed).

I shall give it some thought.

Regarding Summer Sausage.

In my lifetime, I have only known one product by that name, a Cold Cut.

Summer Sausage

Wiki has a rather interesting definition which I never heard of ...

Summer sausage - Wikipedia

Interesting - many, many Italian and Spanish sausages (and indeed European sausages) would certainly fit that description. They are hung and dried and no need to refrigerate. That's their whole point really. The photo you showed contains beef hearts. A little used ingredient these days.

Aye-O! Let's get the meatloaf on the table.
Okay, for the mincemeat in my loaf, I use equal quantities of Veal,Beef and Pork Belly. I do dislike the term Belly Pork sometimes even I slip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom