Recipe Collard Greens with Sweet Italian Sausage

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
6:24 AM
I put this in the vegie sub forum because the Collard Greens are the primary ingredient. If you it needs to be moved, no worries.

I haven't made this yet. This is the recipe I plan on using tonight. Any suggestions on tweaking it? I've never cooked with collard greens before.

Ingredients

• 2 Sweet Onions, chopped
  • 8 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 8-10 Ounces Sweet Italian Sausage
  • 1 Pound Triple Washed Collard Greens. (I buy the pre-washed bags)
  • 2 Cups Chicken Broth.
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (More to taste)
  • 1/3 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Canned Black Eyed Peas
  • Your Favorite Hot Sauce to Taste
Instructions

• Cook Sausage in a Large Stockpot or Dutch Oven over Medium High Heat.
  • Drain off most of fat but leave a few tablespoons in pot.
  • Lower heat to medium.
  • Add Chopped Onions and Garlic, cook a few minutes until softened.
  • Add Red Pepper Flakes.
  • Add Collard Greens. Stir until all the ingredients are combined well. You'll need to keep stirring the bottom ingredients up to the top for a few minutes; get all that sausage and onions mixed in with your greens!
  • Add Chicken Stock.
  • Turn heat up to boiling. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • Taste your collards to see if you like them! Adjust seasonings and cook time.
  • Enjoy with Cornbread.

I'll post pictures and results after I cook it tonight.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill

You need more salty fat, and maybe a leftover roasted bone or two for depth of flavour.
Maybe start with rendering lardons of bacon, or better yet, salt pork/fat back. Then, nestle the roasted bones in while cooking.

Other than that, it looks delicious,

You need more salty fat, and maybe a leftover roasted bone or two for depth of flavour.
Maybe start with rendering lardons of bacon, or better yet, salt pork/fat back. Then, nestle the roasted bones in while cooking.

Other than that, it looks delicious,

Sadly we don't have any leftover bones. But I do plan on cooking the sausage ahead of time and using some of that grease to mix in with the collard greens

Ok, well, then dance with the girl that brung ya. You should be good to go.

I love 'scarole e salsiccia when cooked over a smokey fire.

While I often have disdain for liquid smoke, that could work as well (in very small amounts).

Or how about adding a few minced tinned anchovies. You know, Italian umami.

Ok, well, then dance with the girl that brung ya. You should be good to go.

I love 'scarole e salsicce when cooked over a smokey fire.

While I often have disdain for liquid smoke, that could work as well (in very small amounts).

Or how about adding a few minced tinned anchovies. You know, Italian umami.

Thanks....Some good ideas.

We don't have collard greens in the UK - or if we do they aren't in the supermarkets. But they are similar to spring greens, I think.

18859011_0_640x640.jpg

You can use lots of greens or root veggie/plant tops, so long as they're not too bitter.
Although, not from plants that have bolted.

Swiss Chard, beet tops, escarole, spinach, various oriental greens like bok choy, etc..

I like @buckytom 's idea of anchovies - they just dissolve into the sauce and you won't taste fish - just umami. Also - given the dish already has a meagre 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, you could add more chilli.

If you don't have anchovies, you can also use fish sauce. Or in keeping Asian, bonito flakes.

Oddly enough, and this is a stretch, do you have any dried sea veggies around to supplement the greens? Gkim, nori, kelp, dulce/dillisk, etc..? They'd fit in with the greens.

You don't have to obsessively go thru them, but don't just dump the greens in your pot. I've found "extra protein," aka big grub like bugs, on rare occasions, so I always pull them out by handfuls just to be safe.

With that amount of cooking time, your collards will still be crunchy/chewy. If that's okay great. If you want them really soft, you'll have to cook closer to an hour. If you do that, I'd take the sausage out, then add back in last 20-30 minutes.

You could always add a couple pieces of bacon, render out fat, then chop up pieces and cook with collards. I always use beer as part of my liquid, as well as a bit of something sweet like some brown sugar, honey, or molasses.

The recipe does look pretty good.

I've never cooked with Fish sauce before. My wife works at a grocery store. I texted a fish sauce request. Are we just using a dash or two of it? I'm not sure how over powering it could be.

A dash or splash or two yes, if its Thai fish sauce - but the golden rule as always is taste, taste and taste again and adjust seasoning accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom