Compound Butters

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:09 PM
Do you make/use compound/flavored butters?

I make them fairly frequently, using fresh herbs during the warm months and dried herbs in the colder months. I usually don't get too complex with them, and favorites are basil and dill.

I'll also sometimes flavor butter with dried spices, etc. I'll frequently mix butter and garlic salt and also butter and chili powder (both great on corn-on-the-cob).

How about you?

I don't, but I should. If I baked more bread it would be an awesome idea! Whipped compound butters, yum.

I do melted butter with herbs and seasonings for dipping seafood and also for brushing on pizza crust edges, though. And of course on corn. Never thought about chili powder, would that be a spicy chili powder or just the typical?

I have never made a compound butter. I don't know why. I can think of uses for it on things I cook regularly. I just don't think about it.

CD

I make garlic butter, everyone loves it here, butter, garlic,parsley,Evoo and salt. We use a lot of it. First thing mr5 says when he walks in the door on Sunday, have we got garlic bread?

Russ
I have made on more than one occasion, a fresh roasted garlic butter with herbs for garlic bread. When I go to visit my cousins in SE Texas I always make it, along with from scratch spaghetti and meatballs. They are so used to Ragu over pasta and frozen Texas Toast (which doesn't taste that bad, BTW) that they find it a real treat.

Edited to add that Ragu is a jarred marinara style pasta sauce...not sure if it's available in all countries. It's hard to remember sometimes that not everyone may have access to all brands. And Ragu is a sickly sweet jarred pasta sauce. Pretty much sucks, IMO.

Last edited:
You don't have to make a compound butter to make garlic bread, you can just brush/spread on the butter and herbs without making the butter compound in advance.

You don't have to make a compound butter to make garlic bread, you can just brush/spread on the butter and herbs without making the butter compound in advance.

Lol, you do here, it has to have butter oozing everywhere, just not the same otherwise. I make a pound of butter up in one go. Rubbing bread with garlic doesn't cut it around here. :)

Russ

Lol, you do here, it has to have butter oozing everywhere, just not the same otherwise. I make a pound of butter up in one go. Rubbing bread with garlic doesn't cut it around here. :)

Russ
Nice.

What's a garlic plait? Is that like the garlic ropes?

I think I remember seeing that somewhere. That's cool, does he plait them? I am really curious about how he does it.

I have a friend who grows it, he gives me two or three garlic plaits every year. I freeze in plastic containers.

Russ
Why aren't you growing your own, do you not have room or just don't feel like it?

Back
Top Bottom