Compound Butters

I usually do softened butter, minced garlic, minced parsley, a few squirts of fresh lemon and mix together. Plop it on Saran Wrap and roll it up in a log shape. Freeze or refrigerate and slice off pieces as needed.

I usually do softened butter, minced garlic, minced parsley, a few squirts of fresh lemon and mix together. Plop it on Saran Wrap and roll it up in a log shape. Freeze or refrigerate and slice off pieces as needed.

As an aside when I get garlic I break up the bulbs and freeze. Freezing stops the butter going off. When I used fresh garlic to make the butter go mouldy after a week. Mine now keeps up to 6 weeks.
Also the green bit in the middle of fresh garlic, causes indigestion? Something I read somewhere?

Russ

Compound butters are super easy to make and not only that, they can be kept in the freezer in a 'log' shape and used as and when, by cutting coin sized pieces off the end and then returning to the freezer. Recently, I made a coriander one for this corn (mostly melted in the photo)

Never thought about chili powder, would that be a spicy chili powder or just the typical?

You can use whatever heat you like to suit your taste, I'm sure.

There are also other spices you can use in butter. Well, almost any, I think. The only issue is whether they need to be finely ground before adding. I've made juniper butter which is brilliant on steak or pork chops. With juniper you simply crush the berries as they are quite soft. Juniper is a magical spice to me - quite unlike any other.

My favorite garlic bread or bruschetta is grill toasted Italian bread, rubbed with raw garlic and then smeared with a ripe 1/2 of tomato.

Garlic bread was one of the few things I remember the school cafeteria doing well when I was a kid.

I'll make a copycat of that by taking half a loaf of Italian bread, splitting it horizontally, and smearing it with a stick (1/4 pound) of softened butter mixed with a lot of chopped garlic, some garlic salt, and some dried Italian seasoning, then putting it back together, wrapping it tightly in foil and into a medium oven for a good while, until it's all melted and sopping wet with butter. 😋

Garlic bread was one of the few things I remember the school cafeteria doing well when I was a kid.

I'll make a copycat of that by taking half a loaf of Italian bread, splitting it horizontally, and smearing it with a stick (1/4 pound) of softened butter mixed with a lot of chopped garlic, some garlic salt, and some dried Italian seasoning, then putting it back together, wrapping it tightly in foil and into a medium oven for a good while, until it's all melted and sopping wet with butter. 😋
Yes please.

Russ

As an aside when I get garlic I break up the bulbs and freeze. Freezing stops the butter going off. When I used fresh garlic to make the butter go mouldy after a week. Mine now keeps up to 6 weeks.
Also the green bit in the middle of fresh garlic, causes indigestion? Something I read somewhere?

Russ
Not for me. I don't get indigestion from garlic. Ever. And I use the greens from the top frequently, as I have some cloves in the window growing for me to snip the greens as needed.

Not for me. I don't get indigestion from garlic. Ever. And I use the greens from the top frequently, as I have some cloves in the window growing for me to snip the greens as needed.

The green bit that grows inside the clove itself, not the sprout thingy! :)

Russ

You don't like garlic bread? I thought everybody loves that?

Russ

Sure, but I don't make a compound butter first to put on the bread. Actually, I think I've only made garlic bread once or twice in my life. I've just done the basic butter and granulated garlic thing.

CD

There are also other spices you can use in butter. Well, almost any, I think. The only issue is whether they need to be finely ground before adding. I've made juniper butter which is brilliant on steak or pork chops. With juniper you simply crush the berries as they are quite soft. Juniper is a magical spice to me - quite unlike any other.

Here is an area where you and I are very different. I hate anything to do with Juniper, except covering the dirt in my front yard as low-maintenance ground cover. I don't like the smell, and hate the taste of juniper berries. I despise Gin, a British favorite, from what I understand.

But, if you love it, enjoy it! I'll pass.

CD

Back
Top Bottom