Contentious thread, Herb and Spice racks, like fancy Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar bottles

I am missing something. To me, having a bunch of expensive copper pots that you NEVER use hanging from the ceiling of your kitchen is self aggrandizing. I'm just not seeing how the way people store the spices and herbs that the DO use to cook is anything but people storing their stuff.

If you prefer storing your spices and herbs in a drawer, then just say you prefer to store your spices and herbs in a drawer. There is no need to crap on people who have spice racks.

CD

To me, having a bunch of expensive copper pots that you NEVER use hanging from the ceiling of your kitchen is self aggrandizing.
I concur. My point is have you ever been invited to a persons house for a first time dinner, been shown a "perfect" kitchen including spice racks copper pots and an Arga. The meal is served and more than 50% is supermarket chilled product. As far as I can see every member here can walk the walk and talk the talk. Kitchens do sell house but they don't create cooks. Let the Kitchen Sell Your Home • The Village Guru

I concur. My point is have you ever been invited to a persons house for a first time dinner, been shown a "perfect" kitchen including spice racks copper pots and an Arga. The meal is served and more than 50% is supermarket chilled product. As far as I can see every member here can walk the walk and talk the talk. Kitchens do sell house but they don't create cooks. Let the Kitchen Sell Your Home • The Village Guru

If my house were up for sale, I would "stage" it. That's not arrogant, it's marketing. But, since it is not up for sale, I'm not inclined to do that. If I have guests over, I just want the house to be clean. I know people who have their homes "staged" all the time. One family I know actually does have a pot rack full of expensive copper pots hanging from the ceiling in their million dollar home. Neither of them can cook anything that doesn't get cooked in a microwave oven. Does it bother me? Nope. They are friends -- I can even tease them about the copper pots.

If someone has a spice rack full of spices and herbs that have never been opened, I'd gather that they are there for looks. But, I use my spices and herbs to cook. Some more than others, but if I have it, I've used it at least once.

CD

If my house were up for sale, I would "stage" it.
But if the house is not for sale and permanently stage. Then they take you through the kitchen like a realtor regaling you with stories of the holiday 2 years prior in Morocco and the saffron etc they bought. All unopened but standing erect in the spice rack. Then provide you with a dinner that is predominately chilled ready meals.

But if the house is not for sale and permanently stage. Then they take you through the kitchen like a realtor regaling you with stories of the holiday 2 years prior in Morocco and the saffron etc they bought. All unopened but standing erect in the spice rack. Then provide you with a dinner that is predominately chilled ready meals.

But, that is not what you said in your original post. What you said was the mere fact that someone HAS a spice rack is self aggrandizing. There is nothing inherently self aggrandizing about having a spice rack.

CD

I am missing something. To me, having a bunch of expensive copper pots that you NEVER use hanging from the ceiling of your kitchen is self aggrandizing. I'm just not seeing how the way people store the spices and herbs that the DO use to cook is anything but people storing their stuff.

I think there is a fair bit of tongue in cheek in this thread. Not to be taken too seriously...

I've got both a spice rack and a pull out larder containing herbs/spices. Plus various other spices in odd places! The problem with spice racks is that they tend to be made to hold the tiny supermarket jars. If you are a serious cook you realise that its much much cheaper to buy the herbs and spices in larger packets.

Back
Top Bottom