Cooking Shows

Another Prime Time (Eater) YouTube video. Russ, I think you will like this one. I love the whole concept of cooking over burning wood.

Nobody can say these guy don't know about meat.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrz3wAgU6Wc

BTW, these guys own a whole-animal butcher shop in NYC called The Meat Hook.

CD

That's exactly how I cut up lambs 30 plus years ago. I could get a job there. I used to hang mine for a week before cutting up. Thanks for the vid. :)

Russ

Okay, I'm looking like a fanboy. Sorry, but this Prime Time video features one of my favorite chefs, Issac Toups. Again, cooking over fire gets me every time. Plus, these are the same ducks I used to hunt.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pHDGDnQyO0

Okay, I'll stop now. I promise. :whistling:

CD

It's funny you post this, last night we were at a Chinese restaurant, my daughter reminded me of when I used to bring ducks home many years ago and plucking etc. and picking the shot out of the meat.lol.

Russ

It's funny you post this, last night we were at a Chinese restaurant, my daughter reminded me of when I used to bring ducks home many years ago and plucking etc. and picking the shot out of the meat.lol.

Russ

There is always the one pellet I didn't see. I don't clean the ducks I shoot, not because I don't want to, but because the pros get all the shot out of the birds. I just don't have the patience or attention span to properly de-shot a duck, and I don't have dental insurance. :wink:

CD

There is always the one pellet I didn't see. I don't clean the ducks I shoot, not because I don't want to, but because the pros get all the shot out of the birds. I just don't have the patience or attention span to properly de-shot a duck, and I don't have dental insurance. :wink:

CD

We don't do lead now, Stainless now I think???

Russ

We don't do lead now, Stainless now I think???

Russ

Lead shot is also banned here, and for good reasons. Steel is the most common metal for shotgun shells. I haven't noticed any difference in performance, myself, but, I get the job done with what I have. Lead is heavier, so it travels a longer distance. Seriously? If you can't shoot a duck with steel shot, don't get off your porch.

CD

Lead shot is also banned here, and for good reasons. Steel is the most common metal for shotgun shells. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. Lead is heavier, so it travels a longer distance. Seriously? If you can't shoot a duck with steel shot, don't get off your porch.

CD

Banned due to fish in lake ellesmere as it poisons the environment. That lake is a huge duck hunting ground. I used to go with a mate who knew a farmer and we had free access to his man made lake. I don't miss 5 am starts to the day.

Russ

My favorite cooking shows are all those with Anthony Bourdain, miss that fellow so much..

Otherwise Masterchef Australia is much fun (at least with the old judges), Top chef is great quality, and I love watching Hells kitchen for the drama (plus actually behind the scenes Gordon Ramsay is known in the industry as a very nice man, just don't set him off) . And I love the Great British Bake off, for the laughs and the great bakes.

My favorite cooking shows are all those with Anthony Bourdain, miss that fellow so much..

Otherwise Masterchef Australia is much fun (at least with the old judges), Top chef is great quality, and I love watching Hells kitchen for the drama (plus actually behind the scenes Gordon Ramsay is known in the industry as a very nice man, just don't set him off) . And I love the Great British Bake off, for the laughs and the great bakes.

I miss Tony Bourdain, too. To this day, I can't comprehend why he chose to end it all. He had my dream job. But, we all have our own demons. His Maine episode of of No Reservations with his cameraman/DP Zach Zamboni is, without a doubt, my favorite.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWG-pzzvAc

CD

Last edited:
Great clips caseydog did you see the drum I put up. The pic? It's basically the same as what they did except my way is easier and quicker. Same as the Maori used to do it here hundreds of years ago. My food al goes in baskets and put in drum. There's a double gas burner at the bottom.

Russ

I'm fascinated by the hagis since I saw a chef (can't remember his name) doing one on one episode of the Netflix series Chef's Table. It's such a beautiful way to cook food, directly in nature. In the portuguese island of the Azores they use energy from the geysers and seismic activity to cook, restaurants leave the very traditional cozido das furnas (a heavy stew with pork, vegetables and less glamorous parts of pork like the ear or the feet) cook in the geysers heat, they put it there in the morning and remove it in the afternoon.

I don't usually watch TV but I really enjoyed Chef's Table on Netflix, loved Francis Mallman and his life philosophy. I also enjoyed Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and bought the book after that. Really fun to watch Samina cook persian saffron rice, something I ate everyday in Iran.

Last edited:
I also enjoyed Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and bought the book after that.
I loved the first episode, but her personality sort of tired me out, and by the last episode, I didn't care for her much.

I can't remember which one it was, probably the third one, but she was at some open-air market, and she was enthusing about wanting to get this or that, or try this or that, and when she found the crowded stall, her eyes locked like a laser on the counter, and she just shoved and stampeded people to get to the front of the crowd, which was really off-putting to me. I like food, but I also like manners.

This is a clip from one show I loved, "Lords And Ladles," where three noted Irish chefs went round to different grand homes in Ireland and recreated a meal from the house records, from 100-200 years previous, so lots of weird things like sheeps' eyes and such:

View: https://youtu.be/f1ITNjeHKvs

The third chef isn't in that clip, but they're all very nice and sweet to one another, no bickering, really.

In each episode, one chef took the lead, one sourced all the ingredients, and one learned the history of the house and introduced the dishes to the guests.

I loved the first episode, but her personality sort of tired me out, and by the last episode, I didn't care for her much.

I can't remember which one it was, probably the third one, but she was at some open-air market, and she was enthusing about wanting to get this or that, or try this or that, and when she found the crowded stall, her eyes locked like a laser on the counter, and she just shoved and stampeded people to get to the front of the crowd, which was really off-putting to me. I like food, but I also like manners.

If I remember correctly the show only had 3 or 4 episodes and I watched them all in one sitting which is rare with me I get bored with TV so fast (or maybe I didn't watch all the episodes?) As a side note the concept of a line or queue is unknown of in most Asian countries (Samina is iranian I believe). Everyone tries to get ahead and whoever speaks louder or pushes harder gets served. When I was in Iran, I was trying to exchange money in Yazd and I stood lurking around the counter for a good 30 minutes while several men entered the exchange house, went straight for the counter and got their money changed, until the guy behind the counter took pity of me and told me to go ahead :D Of course this behaviour is deemed rude by western standards. But I spent a lifetime thinking my chinese grandfather was rude until I went to China, many years after he died, and I finally understood he was very well behaved but only by chinese standards.

Back
Top Bottom