Cooking Shows

If I remember correctly the show only had 3 or 4 episodes and I watched them all in one sitting which is rare with me I get bored with TV so fast (or maybe I didn't watch all the episodes?) As a side note the concept of a line or queue is unknown of in most Asian countries (Samina is iranian I believe). Everyone tries to get ahead and whoever speaks louder or pushes harder gets served. When I was in Iran, I was trying to exchange money in Yazd and I stood lurking around the counter for a good 30 minutes while several men entered the exchange house, went straight for the counter and got their money changed, until the guy behind the counter took pity of me and told me to go ahead :D Of course this behaviour is deemed rude by western standards. But I spent a lifetime thinking my chinese grandfather was rude until I went to China, many years after he died, and I finally understood he was very well behaved but only by chinese standards.
It's just the four episodes. I also watched them all in one sitting. :)

I made allowances for the cultural differences, but what really put me off when she was going through the crowd like a bowling ball through tenpins was the look on her face. I'm not even saying this to be funny - she looked half-crazed, like the only thing that mattered was getting what she wanted, and if she had to knock a few old ladies down, well, tough sh!t, Grandma.

At that point, I just felt like she went from being a bit obsessive over food (which is kind of fun) to being like a true addict, which was just really sad. I felt like, in this situation, this person has no control over her impulses, and she'd lie, cheat, and steal to get whatever they're selling. Just like an addict.

Maybe she needs Food Market Shoppers Anonymous: "Hello, my name is Samin, and I'm addicted to toasted cardamom pods." :laugh:

I loved the first episode, but her personality sort of tired me out, and by the last episode, I didn't care for her much.

I can't remember which one it was, probably the third one, but she was at some open-air market, and she was enthusing about wanting to get this or that, or try this or that, and when she found the crowded stall, her eyes locked like a laser on the counter, and she just shoved and stampeded people to get to the front of the crowd, which was really off-putting to me. I like food, but I also like manners.

The same for me, though her book is absolutely brilliant!

I'm not a tv person so I usually binge watch cooking shows online. Some of them are too "theatrical" (for my tastes) if that makes sense.

Beat Bobby Flay - Interesting, but not something I just *have* to watch.
Chopped and Chopped, Jr. - Really liked them and loved the judges' comments.
Hell's Kitchen - I know it's his appeal, but I grew tired of Ramsey's demeaning attitude. It's not necessary to cut people down all the time.
Iron Chef - Enjoyed the program and learning about new cuisines.
Pioneer Woman - Loved her blog before she became famous. Haven't really followed her since she became famous though.

It's interesting to go back and see some of the Julia Child's episodes. Who would have imagined she was the true cooking show pioneer woman! I don't believe I've EVER worn a blouse and skirt to cook anything in my life. Yes, I'll change for guests but prepping and cooking that way? Not a chance! There is no apron in the world that good. ;-)

Hell's Kitchen - I know it's his appeal, but I grew tired of Ramsey's demeaning attitude. It's not necessary to cut people down all the time.
I can't find the quote at the moment, but Jacques Pepin, who IMO can cook up, down, and all around Ramsey, with one arm behind his back and one eye poked out, commented on chefs who feel the need to scream at their staff, saying something like it's a terrorized environment and people will not produce good food in that situation.

'Nuff said.

I can't find the quote at the moment, but Jacques Pepin, who IMO can cook up, down, and all around Ramsey, with one arm behind his back and one eye poked out, commented on chefs who feel the need to scream at their staff, saying something like it's a terrorized environment and people will not produce good food in that situation.

'Nuff said.
The exact reason I hate Ramsay. Can you imagine rick stein screaming the f word.?

Russ

Food shows (that have been on TV) that I like:

Iron Chef (the Japanese original), Iron Chef America. An original concept for cooking challenges, and fun.
Masterchef Australia - I liked the fact they also had sessions where they brought the students together and TAUGHT them how to cook, on TV. The US version is a bit annoying overall.
If I think of others, I'll add.

The problem with Chopped is the ingredients they use - the challenge idea itself is good, but they typically have one CRUD item that would never end up in my kitchen, that they have to use. I am glad they tend to be creative with it... but. Just annoys me. Pick three interesting ingredients and make them diverse in origin, but skip the Cheetos, please!

You Tube is my preferred way of watching cooking shows. Mainly because I can drop off to sleep with them in bed, and besides having TV isn't something I really need to have.

Favorites currently are:

My Name Is Andong - He's a German vlogger who records in excellent English, and makes a variety of food, often with the history and techniques behind whatever he's making that day. A little humor, but not so much this turns annoyingly slapstick.

Tasting History - about the only good thing to come out of the COVID situation, he found himself with free time on his hands, and started making (and re-creating) foods from various periods in history, along with historical notes to go along side.

Chinese Cooking Demystified - An expatriate and his Chinese wife, cooking authentic recipes in China, mentioning substitutions westerners might more readily find.

I did watch some of the Bon Appetit videos before they imploded - my favorite chef there was indeed Sohla, as she did a good job explaining why she did what she did. I never much cottoned to Brad Leone - he seemed to enjoy derailing what others were doing, and I was more interested in learning about food than the personalities. (Unlike, from the comments section, most of the other viewers.) I was also not fond of most of the Gourmet Makes (Junk Food) segments although I will give that woman (her name temporarily escapes me) credit for showing her process for the vanishing few interesting recipes she ended up creating. I also always wanted to learn more from Rick, the Mexican chef, but the few very brief tantalizing segments with him were just that.. brief.

I do think personality as expressed on the screen DOES matter for watch-ability, but I dislike it when it overwhelms and supersedes food itself.

EmmyMadeInJapan is an example of a relaxing personality. I don't care for many of her recipes - I do like her Food in Hardship Times series, and I enjoyed her Offal series she did in the past - mainly because in the last case I really enjoy offal. But at night I can fall asleep to her voice, should I need to.

Townsends mostly does early American/Colonial food, with forays over the same approximate time periods to Britain and the western European continent. He also has non-food episodes detailing how life was here in early American colonies and society. But most posts are food and recipes, which he makes wearing period garb and using (as far as possible) period cooking methods and ingredients.

OH, PS, I am editing to add: I like many episodes of Bobby Flay's Throwdown. He can be annoying, but I like that he's gracious when he loses a throwdown, which is frequently. And he does throw (ahem) in an idea or two that may work for a home cook along the way.)

Last edited:
There's another category of food shows that do NOT involve cooking, but tasting.

These are from people who go and adventure around wherever to taste and (hopefully) enjoy foods, but they're not (at least on these shows) cooking them, themselves.

Anthony Bourdain. Simply awesome, and simply sad that doing this was not enough to keep his sorrows and inner demons away.

Guy Fieri. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I do love a good diner. I've even been to a few excellent dives. He could be flakey but he left most of this real. Or, close enough.

Best Ever Food Review Show. I hate this channel's name, but this YouTube venture is somewhat living up to it. Sonny is an expatriate currently living in Vietnam who has traveled to a lot of fascinating parts of the world, and has a team of videographers to work constructively with him. He's currently "stuck" in Vietnam, but he's making the most of travel restrictions. But if you go to explore his channel, check his Uzbekistan tour.

I’m kind of burnt out on cooking competition shows. Guy Fieri is hard to stomach. Like a 50 year old college frat boy. I do like Roger Mooking. Got some stuff to watch on Amazon Prime like The Lazy Chef

Back
Top Bottom