CookingBites dish of the month (August 2022): quiche/savoury tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:51 AM
'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. This month quiche/savoury tart has been chosen. So, its over to you to cook your finest quiche/savoury tart and post the results in this thread. Innovation is positively encouraged.

Here's my favorite savory tart recipe.
Recipe - My mother's red onion & feta tart

I love the idea of seafood quiche!
I made a Cajun seasoned seafood quiche last night using a thyme and tarragon infused pie crust. It had scallop pieces, chopped shrimp, langoustine, goat cheese, asparagus, mushroom, red onion, roasted garlic, red, yellow, and orange bell pepper and jalapeño. It was really good.

Last edited:
I made a Cajun seasoned seafood quiche last night using a thyme and tarragon infused pie crust.

How wonderful. Tarragon is the perfect herb for seafood.

It had scallop pieces, chopped shrimp, langoustine, goat cheese, asparagus, mushroom, red onion, roasted garlic, red, yellow, and orange bell pepper and jalapeño.

Lots going on here. I can only imagine how these ingredients work together.

The final result looks delicious.

How wonderful. Tarragon is the perfect herb for seafood.

Lots going on here. I can only imagine how these ingredients work together.

The final result looks delicious.
Thank you, yes the ingredients worked well together and I love love love tarragon, which is odd because it has that slight licorice taste and I despise licorice.

Odd, because I love licorice and hate tarragon! :laugh:
I think medtran49 hates tarragon, too. I don't know how she feels about licorice.

I love seafood, you don't (except beer battered cod I think?)...and I wouldn't touch a hot dog, I think you like those? No accounting for tastes :laugh:

My first homemade quiche (pie dough was store bought. It was very good. Eggs, heavy cream, diced and pan fried Boar's Head low sodium ham, asparagus tips, mushrooms. The cheeses were Emmental and Gouda.

My dough crimping needs practice.

View attachment 88881

CD

Looks good! Do you have a photo of a slice so we can see the filling?

How did you deal with the mushrooms? I'm presuming you pre-cooked them?

I suppose the best way to ensure the crimping is "perfect" is to have the raw pastry overlapping the edge of the dish; do the crimping, then gently cut away the excess pastry. That´s what I do, and yes, it´s a bit a pain when it doesn´t turn out perfect, but what the heck, because it´s only you and your family who are going to eat it, generally.
Or employ a pastry chef. :laugh: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom