CookingBites dish of the month: dumplings (any type)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:46 AM
'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. Dumplings (any type) has been chosen.

Its over to you to cook your finest dumplings and post the results in this thread. Innovation is positively encouraged. Any type of dumpling is fine. There are types of dumplings in almost every cuisine: Vietnamese, Mongolian, Chinese, Indian, South American, Japanese, Hawaiian, Eastern European - the list goes on. And then of course there is the good old British suet dumpling (you either hate them or love them)! Hopefully we can have some fun with this topic and also explore a few international cuisines.

Last edited:
Right!! ´Ere we go -
Bollos Pelones (Stuffed Venezuelan Corn Dumplings)
This picture is not mine - it´s one from my friend Carmen, who makes homemade, Venezuelan food very well indeed.
I´ve made these in the past and they´re simple, versatile and very filling.
If you´ve got some leftover bolognaise in the fridge, and some tomato sauce, you can use them instead of making a new batch. Just make sure the bolognaise is fairly dry.
If you don´t want to serve them immediately, just pop them in the oven on low until ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's popular right out the gate! I got other stuff going on this weekend and work next week, but sometime soon...

Well it's popular right out the gate!
Actually. I had serious doubts, because I always associated "dumplings" with the "Suet Dumplings" we used to have at school:

Ghastly, tasteless, ponderous lumps of dough , made with suet - the fat from a cow´s kidneys.
But then I discovered that "dumplings" include all sorts of other things, including empanadas (which I think is pushing it a bit), I thought "OK, let´s give this one a go".

I knew of only two kinds of dumplings growing up; what some people call slicks (we never called them that and I never heard that term until I grew up and moved away), and what we called drop dumplings, which are very similar to the suet dumplings above.

The former were always much, much preferred, as the drop dumplings (just like drop biscuits) were seen as sort of a lesser-quality substitute for proper dumplings. Drop dumplings were what you made when you didn’t have the time to make “real” dumplings, and we always moaned when we smelled chicken-and-dumplings on the stove, only to find out Mom had made it with drop dumplings. C’mon, Mom!

Now, when I was about 10, my Army brother came back from Korea with a new bride, and she made a couple of Korean dishes that no one in the family would eat, except for me and my brother.

The one thing I completely fell in love with were these little dumplings she called yaki mandu. However, neither she nor my brother ever referred to them as dumplings, so I never learned to associate that word with those little Asian packets. Every time they’d visit or we’d visit, she went out of her way to make me a huge tinfoil tray of hundreds of them.

It wasn’t until I moved away and met my wife nearly a decade later that I realized those things were called dumplings, because they were so far removed from what I grew up with as dumplings.

I knew of only two kinds of dumplings growing up; what some people call slicks (we never called them that and I never heard that term until I grew up and moved away), and what we called drop dumplings, which are very similar to the suet dumplings above.

The former were always much, much preferred, as the drop dumplings (just like drop biscuits) were seen as sort of a lesser-quality substitute for proper dumplings. Drop dumplings were what you made when you didn’t have the time to make “real” dumplings, and we always moaned when we smelled chicken-and-dumplings on the stove, only to find out Mom had made it with drop dumplings. C’mon, Mom!

Now, when I was about 10, my Army brother came back from Korea with a new bride, and she made a couple of Korean dishes that no one in the family would eat, except for me and my brother.

The one thing I completely fell in love with were these little dumplings she called yaki mandu. However, neither she nor my brother ever referred to them as dumplings, so I never learned to associate that word with those little Asian packets. Every time they’d visit or we’d visit, she went out of her way to make me a huge tinfoil tray of hundreds of them.

It wasn’t until I moved away and met my wife nearly a decade later that I realized those things were called dumplings, because they were so far removed from what I grew up with as dumplings.
Hopefully lots of gojuchang was involved!

Actually. I had serious doubts, because I always associated "dumplings" with the "Suet Dumplings" we used to have at school:
View attachment 87231
Ghastly, tasteless, ponderous lumps of dough , made with suet - the fat from a cow´s kidneys.
But then I discovered that "dumplings" include all sorts of other things, including empanadas (which I think is pushing it a bit), I thought "OK, let´s give this one a go".
Technically ravioli are Italian dumplings just as pierogi are Polish dumplings, Jiaozi Chinese dumplings, gyoza Japanese dumplings and so on.

Right!! ´Ere we go -
Bollos Pelones (Stuffed Venezuelan Corn Dumplings)
This picture is not mine - it´s one from my friend Carmen, who makes homemade, Venezuelan food very well indeed.
I´ve made these in the past and they´re simple, versatile and very filling.
If you´ve got some leftover bolognaise in the fridge, and some tomato sauce, you can use them instead of making a new batch. Just make sure the bolognaise is fairly dry.
If you don´t want to serve them immediately, just pop them in the oven on low until ready.
View attachment 87227View attachment 87228
The idea issue the dish of the month is that you make dumplings at some point this month.

Back
Top Bottom