CookingBites dish of the month: dumplings (any type)

My preference is for the latter. Mom made both, but made the drop ones when she was short on time, so we always felt a little cheated when we got those.
I have also done the drop kind and then finished the pot in the oven on a low broil to get a crispy crust across the top. Pretty darned tasty.

I didn't have the time this month but I have all of the ingredients and will get around to making a dish from Hawaii
DSC06905.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

DSC06907.JPG

Crispy Gau Gee
I typically make this for Lunar New Year, but now my mouth is watering!

My last dumpling dish, maple syrup dumplings:

The dumpling is a sweet dough mixture, and flavored with mace and nutmeg, which is just beautiful. The dough is dropped into a simmering pot of maple syrup and butter, lid on, and let alone for 20 minutes.

Served with ice cream, as I’ve done here, even with plain heavy cream poured over.

My last dumpling dish, maple syrup dumplings:

View attachment 88462

The dumpling is a sweet dough mixture, and flavored with mace and nutmeg, which is just beautiful. The dough is dropped into a simmering pot of maple syrup and butter, lid on, and let alone for 20 minutes.

Served with ice cream, as I’ve done here, even with plain heavy cream poured over.

Despite my lack of sweet tooth I really fancy that!

Now I’m curious…what is intriguing to you about this? The mace? Mace isn’t very common here, but I think it’s probably very easy to get there.

Its the way it looks - it reminds me of steamed treacle sponge pudding for which I have a childhood fondness. But I do like the addition of mace.

1659348949098.png

Its the way it looks - it reminds me of steamed treacle sponge pudding for which I have a childhood fondness. But I do like the addition of mace.

View attachment 88498
Ahhhh, I should have known! It’s funny, because the bottom of those dumplings sit in the syrup while they steam, and as I was getting them out, I rolled them over a few times, and MrsT said, “Those look like little treacle puds!”

I gave the last two to the neighbors, even though they didn’t deserve them. :laugh:

I´m just a little bemused by the addition of mace AND nutmeg. Nutmeg is the kernel of the nutmeg fruit; mace is the leathery tissue between the "nut" and the fruit. The flavour of mace is very similar to the nutmeg, but a little milder.

Back
Top Bottom