CookingBites dish of the month: dumplings (any type)

The dish looks interesting.
Here´s a question. (because I looked for the recipe and couldn´t find it; probably because I´m not looking in the right place)
If the dumplings are veggie, why do they have suet in them? Or if they´re veggie and they dont have suet in them, why are they called suet dumplings?
I´m not trying to be be polemical - I´ve eaten vegetarian food almost all my life - just trying to understand why they´re called veggie SUET dumplings.like suet and beg=

Atora vegetable suet has been around for donkey's years. I've certainly been using it for as long as I can remember. Technically its not 'suet' but it looks like suet and behaves like suet so...

In other words if you made one lot of dumplings with Atora beef suet and another lot with Atora vegetable suet you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. And I should know because I love suet dumplings and I've made them both ways.

Atora vegetable suet has been around for donkey's years. I've certainly been using it for as long as I can remember. Technically its not 'suet' but it looks like suet and behaves like suet so...

In other words if you made one lot of dumplings with Atora beef suet and another lot with Atora vegetable suet you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. And I should know because I love suet dumplings and I've made them both ways.

There was only one outlet that I knew of where suet was available in Kuala Lumpur - and it was vegetable suet.

Not something I´ve ever seen in Venezuela, but then British culinary items are very rare there. Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Middle Eastern - anything you want. British? Only Scotch.

I made homemade wontons. I dressed them in a Szechuan chili oil.

So I went to the grocery store and bought chicken thighs today that were on sale for .99 cents a pound, fully intending on making chicken and dumplings. And the cashier did not put the chicken thighs in my cart and I didn't realize it until I got home. I am not going back to the store. I called them and they said yeah, the cashier took them up to customer service. I just had them credit my loyalty card, so no chicken and dumplings going to be made in the month of July, unfortunately!

I also meant to make chicken and dumplings (meaning slicks, though I don’t like that word), because if my mom had a signature dish, that was it, but I’m not going to get around to it.

I do, however, have one more dumpling dish I’m going to do my best to get it.

I also meant to make chicken and dumplings (meaning slicks, though I don’t like that word), because if my mom had a signature dish, that was it, but I’m not going to get around to it.

I do, however, have one more dumpling dish I’m going to do my best to get it.
I have never heard the term "slicks" before. Where I come from, it's called chickun n duhmplins, y'all. And my husband absolutely loves mine! It's funny, because I usually end up making the dish of the month during the following month. That's probably going to happen again, LOL!

I have never heard the term "slicks" before. Where I come from, it's called chickun n duhmplins, y'all.
The term slicks is to distinguish it from those drop dumplings that some people make.

Chicken and dumplings:

Chicken and “slicks:”

Slicks are wide, flat, thick, doughy noodles, so called because they’re extremely slippery and somewhat difficult to eat.

The term slicks is to distinguish it from those drop dumplings that some people make.

Chicken and dumplings:
View attachment 88397

Chicken and “slicks:”
View attachment 88398

Slicks are wide, flat, thick, doughy noodles, so called because they’re extremely slippery and somewhat difficult to eat.
I like both kinds (I had no idea there were called slicks, though) and have been known to do both kinds for the same dish!

I like both kinds (I had no idea there were called slicks, though) and have been known to do both kinds for the same dish!
My preference is for the latter. Mom made both, but made the drop ones when she was short on time, so we always felt a little cheated when we got those.

Back
Top Bottom