CookingBites dish of the month: dumplings (any type)

That´s going to be very difficult because I´m currently living "refugee" status at my son´s, my brother´s or friends - use of kitchens highly restricted.
If you´d prefer to eliminate the post, please go ahead.
As MG said the post itself is fine it would just be better if you made it clear that these were ones you made earlier rather than leaving some to believe you made them on the first day of the challenge that's all.

As MG said the post itself is fine it would just be better if you made it clear that these were ones you made earlier rather than leaving some to believe you made them on the first day of the challenge that's all.
I thought it wasn't a challenge? Also he said in his post he didn't make the ones in the photos.

I thought it wasn't a challenge? Also he said in his post he didn't make the ones in the photos.
It isn't a challenge but it is a dish of the month and the aim is that you cook the dish during the month concerned. It isn't a 'have you every cooked this' challenge. Otherwise we could all post pictures of dumplings we've cooked in the past (I have many). I don't mind recipes and images added to the thread that haven't been cooked this month (July) provided it is made clear that they were not cooked as part of this challenge.

It isn't a challenge but it is a dish of the month and the aim is that you cook the dish during the month concerned. It isn't a 'have you every cooked this' challenge. Otherwise we could all post pictures of dumplings we've cooked in the past (I have many). I don't mind recipes and images added to the thread that haven't been cooked this month (July) provided it is made clear that they were not cooked as part of this challenge.
Okay, but he did make it clear in his original post that he didn't cook this as part of this "dish of the month" thread.

One dish I'd love to re-create is my mother's Chicken and Dumplings. This was back in the day when supermarkets sold both roasting hens and stewing hens. Won't worry so much about the chicken part - but I want to make her dumplings. I know she used Bisquick. While I don't want to buy that product, for the sake of an attempt at replication, I will do so. (I do not have her recipe.)

May have a few other ideas, we shall see.

One dish I'd love to re-create is my mother's Chicken and Dumplings. This was back in the day when supermarkets sold both roasting hens and stewing hens. Won't worry so much about the chicken part - but I want to make her dumplings. I know she used Bisquick. While I don't want to buy that product, for the sake of an attempt at replication, I will do so. (I do not have her recipe.)

May have a few other ideas, we shall see.
I've used it many times for that very thing. My grandmother also used Bisquick for her chicken n dumplings. It works! I also don't have grandma's recipe, but I remember what it tasted like and that's what I go by.

I know she used Bisquick. While I don't want to buy that product, for the sake of an attempt at replication, I will do so. (I do not have her recipe.)

There is a recipe here that purports to be the original Bisquick recipe (presumably printed on the packet back in the day):

Original Bisquick Dumplings

It doesn't get much easier!

What is yuba?
It's basically the skin off the top of soya milk which is layered to create a protein rich substance. Sometimes called braised tofu.
Chinese and Japanese in origin.

Its a by-product of soy milk production, yuba is the sheet of coagulated soy proteins that forms on the surface of a hot vat of soy milk

So think about boiling dairy milk up and collecting the skin the forms on the top. Layer that up and dry it out, then cook with it. It hasn't be processed in the way the tofu or cheese has. Hubby calls is custard skin but the direct translation is "dried tofu skin".

Back
Top Bottom