Recipe Dairy-free Honey, Mustard, Parsnip and Potato Bake

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:48 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I spotted this recipe on the BBC Goodfood site and rather fancied making it but at over 500 calories a serving there was no way it would work with my diet when I need to add protein and green veg to the meal as well. So I was changed some of the ingredients around and lowered the calories by 150 per serving. That will suit us much better and it is mostly around the use of less fatty, flour and changing the milk to almond milk. The recipe can easily be made vegan by switching the honey for agave nectar, maple syrup, date syrup or even grape molasses.

I also would prefer the cooking time to take less time, so would slice the potatoes and parsnips rather than cubing them. I'll try to upload my own photo of my version when I make it later in the week.

honey mustard.jpg

Ingredients
  • 800g potatoes like Desirée (so floury), thickly sliced
  • 800g parsnips, thickly sliced
  • 50g Pure Soya or Sunflower margarine or olive oil
  • 50g plain flour
  • 450ml unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 85g fresh white bread, whizzed to crumbs
  • Seasoning for the honey mustard sauce
Method
  1. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Tip in the potatoes and parsnips, bring back to the boil and simmer for 3-5 mins. Gently drain so they don’t break up. Put some of the potatoes and parsnips into a casserole bowl, keeping about 2/3rds back. You will be layering the sauce and veg.
  2. Melt the margarine in a big saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Gradually stir in the almond milk to a smooth, lump-free sauce. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce is nicely thickened – about 5 mins. Stir in the mustard, honey, vinegar and season to taste.
  3. Pour about 1/3rd of the sauce over the vegetables, add another layer of vegetables (half of the remaining amount), and repeat with the sauce, before adding the final layer of vegetables and then sauce.
  4. Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top and bake at 200C/180C fan/ gas 6 for 20-30 mins until the top is crisp and golden and the sauce is hot.

Back
Top Bottom