Recipe Dijon Mustard & Tarragon Ice Cream

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:55 PM
Mustard ice-cream might sound a bit strange but well… someone had to do it. Dijon, which is after all quite a sweet mustard, is intended to add a tang to the ice-cream which compliments the anise tarragon flavour. The basic ice cream recipe is a kulfi (an Indian ice-cream) and the great thing about kulfi is that its ‘no churn’. Make it in a saucepan, pour into moulds, freeze and that’s it! Remove from the freezer 30 mins (depending on room temperature) before serving to allow the ice-cream to soften.

Did I like it? Not really! It tasted, well... strange. Maybe it needed more sugar and less mustard. But anyway, as I had written it up and taken photos I thought I might as well post it.

fullsizeoutput_4dcf.jpeg

Ingredients
250 ml whole milk
150 ml evaporated milk
15 g caster sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
1 tsp cornflour

Method
  1. Place the milks and tarragon in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly until reduced by half. Sieve into a jug to remove the tarragon bits.
  2. Return the milk to the saucepan. Heat gently, gradually adding the sugar, mixing and tasting as you go until it seems sweet enough.
  3. Mix the cornflour with a little water to a smooth paste. Add to the pan together with the mustard. Stir and heat gently until the mixture thickens.
fullsizeoutput_4dd1.jpeg

Last edited:
Aesthetically, though, really nice.

I made a feta and thyme ice cream a while back (almost no sugar), and it was so intense. Good with watermelon cubes kind of thing or even some prosciutto. Incidentally, I had some of it leftover in my freezer and my dear friend was over. I also had some lavendar ice cream I'd made recently, and I offered her some of that and served two huge scoops of it. She was thrilled, and dug into it. She was particularly quiet as she started eating it, and then it clicked that I had served her the feta thyme ice cream instead of lavendar. Ugh, what a nasty surprise if you're expecting a delicate lavendar flavour.

She was particularly quiet as she started eating it, and then it clicked that I had served her the feta thyme ice cream instead of lavendar. Ugh, what a nasty surprise if you're expecting a delicate lavendar flavour.

:laugh:

I made lavender ice-cream, too, a while back. I found it needed to be carefully balanced in terms of the amount of lavender or it ends up tasting rather sickly. My, how my photography has improved since then...

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lavender-kulfi-with-mango-coulis.7543/

:laugh:

I made lavender ice-cream, too, a while back. I found it needed to be carefully balanced in terms of the amount of lavender or it ends up tasting rather sickly. My, how my photography has improved since then...

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lavender-kulfi-with-mango-coulis.7543/
Oooh, orange zest with the lavendar! Now that's a combination I hadn't considered. Really nice plating and I quite liked the photos :D Very dramatic presentation. Purple and orange are rare colour combinations in dishes.

I'm going to have a closer look at my lavender-liquid ratios, now that you've said that.

Oooh, orange zest with the lavendar! Now that's a combination I hadn't considered. Really nice plating and I quite liked the photos :D Very dramatic presentation. Purple and orange are rare colour combinations in dishes.

I'm going to have a closer look at my lavender-liquid ratios, now that you've said that.

I thought the plating was good but I've taken better photos! I keep learning... orange and purple are great colours together.

A case of style over substance. It shows how something not very pleasant can look good. :laugh:
I think you are missing a trick here! Maybe not a great pudding, but imaging a spoonful of that on top of a bite sized Yorkshire pudding, topped off with a slither of rare roast beef - canapé heaven! Beef, tarragon, mustard - perfect.

Back
Top Bottom