Dish of the month (April): suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the apple one - is that also deep fried ? I suppose I was thinking that in the UK there are traditional apple dumplings with suet pastry so I imagined the appelbollen might be similar (not suet pastry though). I mean baked.
List of dumplings - Wikipedia

Most people think of dumplings as going into stew or soup, but yes, you're right, there are many versions of dumplings, some filled with fruit or sweet that are baked or fried.

'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that if they wish, members can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had frittata, burgers, pizza and tortilla based dishes, savoury pies, pasta salad, pancakes/waffles, gratins and kebabs, meatloaf and (currently) chilli.

New suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients in our various countries and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations.

Past suggestions have included potato salad, macaroni cheese, bread, risotto and strudel. Please feel free to support one of these suggestions or add new ones, with the above criteria in mind. We will make a decision based on which dish gets most mentions, so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea.
Hello morning glory, if you are looking for some dish of the month idea’s then maybe I can help. Here are a few options: spatchcock , Turkish delight , and a dish from India: Kolhapuri thali you should try it at some Indian cafe or restaurant unless you are in India It is really delicious- I should know I live in India and I have visited Kolhapur myself.

What about the apple one - is that also deep fried ? I suppose I was thinking that in the UK there are traditional apple dumplings with suet pastry so I imagined the appelbollen might be similar (not suet pastry though). I mean baked.
I said they were both deep fried.

This is an apple beignet, which is the apple variety of an oliebol.

Dutch Apple Fritters (Appelbeignets aka Appelflappen) | Cakies

This is an oliebol:

They are not dumplings. They are doughtnuts.

List of dumplings - Wikipedia

Most people think of dumplings as going into stew or soup, but yes, you're right, there are many versions of dumplings, some filled with fruit or sweet that are baked or fried.
Oliebollen even if made with apple are not a dumpling and not in your dumpling list.

Apple dumplings are something else than oliebollen.

Oliebollen even if made with apple are not a dumpling and not in your dumpling list.

Apple dumplings are something else than oliebollen.
Yes, I saw that. I didn't say anything about oliebollen and I don't know anything about oliebollen. I was just saying that there are many versions of dumplings and not all of them are savory.

Last edited:
Hello morning glory, if you are looking for some dish of the month idea’s then maybe I can help. Here are a few options: spatchcock , Turkish delight , and a dish from India: Kolhapuri thali you should try it at some Indian cafe or restaurant unless you are in India It is really delicious- I should know I live in India and I have visited Kolhapur myself.
I think many people in the forum love Indian food. I did a quick search and saw this:
CookingBites Dish of the Month (July): Indian Food
Yorky makes kolhapuri weekly from what I saw when I did the search, LOL.

I have never had it (kolhapuri) but I would try it! Not sure if I want to try cooking it, only because I don't know how accessible some of the ingredients would be, like garam masala. No idea where to get it locally. Also never had Turkish delight, but I am not much of a dessert person (and neither is my husband).

garam masala.
Garam masala is very commonly available in all countries I've visited. I've not been to the US so can't comment but it is also very easy to make. I do actually make my own because i prefer it. It is simply mixed roasted spices ground. Different makes of garam masala will taste distant because there is actually no fixed recipe for it. This is the version I like Recipe - Homemade Garam Masala .

Garam masala is very commonly available in all countries I've visited. I've not been to the US so can't comment but it is also very easy to make. I do actually make my own because i prefer it. It is simply mixed roasted spices ground. Different makes of garam masala will taste distant because there is actually no fixed recipe for it. This is the version I like Recipe - Homemade Garam Masala .
I have never seen cardamom, mace, or star anise before...have no idea what mace is (other than when a woman carries mace and sprays her attacker in a movie, thinking that's probably not the same thing, LOL).

I have never seen cardamom, mace, or star anise before...have no idea what mace is (other than when a woman carries mace and sprays her attacker in a movie, thinking that's probably not the same thing, LOL).
Mace is the outside of nutmeg which has a lacey coating over it...

Mace is the outside of nutmeg which has a lacey coating over it...
Perhaps things liked cardamon are everyday spices because of the huge influence India has in the UK? Well that's my best guess, but I can't imagine a spice cupboard without. I do prefer black/brown cardamon to green cardamon though. Much earthier and nicer in my opinion. Star anise i could live without. It only gets used for picked eggs, chutney and garam masala making. Same with mace. But I've loads in my spice cupboard. It's a huge area. I might even clean it out that and do a check to see what's needed. I've been using quite a bit of spices just recently. But that said, I need to harvest the coriander seeds from the garden before they drop off the plants....

Perhaps things liked cardamon are everyday spices because of the huge influence India has in the UK? Well that's my best guess, but I can't imagine a spice cupboard without. I do prefer black/brown cardamon to green cardamon though. Much earthier and nicer in my opinion. Star anise i could live without. It only gets used for picked eggs, chutney and garam masala making. Same with mace. But I've loads in my spice cupboard. It's a huge area. I might even clean it out that and do a check to see what's needed. I've been using quite a bit of spices just recently. But that said, I need to harvest the coriander seeds from the garden before they drop off the plants....
Yeah, I don't care for pickled eggs or chutney, but I have no idea about garam masala. I know I am not a fan of nutmeg and I don't like cinnamon except for cinnamon toast or cinnamon tea and honey. And I don't like cloves in anything (which might explain why I don't like pumpkin pie). So without ever having tried cardamom, mace, or star anise, I just can't say whether I would find it worth spending the money on it all and then possibly hating it.

I did make a lamb dish inspired by Murphy's Creek that had some of those spices in it, but I just adapted the recipe by omitting them and it tasted great, so I am probably okay.

Yeah, I don't care for pickled eggs or chutney, but I have no idea about garam masala. I know I am not a fan of nutmeg and I don't like cinnamon except for cinnamon toast or cinnamon tea and honey. And I don't like cloves in anything (which might explain why I don't like pumpkin pie). So without ever having tried cardamom, mace, or star anise, I just can't say whether I would find it worth spending the money on it all and then possibly hating it.

I did make a lamb dish inspired by Murphy's Creek that had some of those spices in it, but I just adapted the recipe by omitting them and it tasted great, so I am probably okay.
Garam masala is simply Indian mixed spice. I guess if you don't eat Indian food much then you'd not have much exposure to it. Similarly Ethiopian food and berbere, middle Eastern and za'atar or baharat and so on.

Garam masala is simply Indian mixed spice. I guess if you don't eat Indian food much then you'd not have much exposure to it. Similarly Ethiopian food and berbere, middle Eastern and za'atar or baharat and so on.
Za'what? LOL just kidding. I have heard of it but never tasted it or baharat and have no idea what I would do with it.

As far as Indian food goes, it wasn't something I saw growing up in the panhandle of Florida (seafood restaurants everywhere) and I have eaten plenty of Cajun and Tex-Mex cuisine. In my 20+ plus years in Ohio I haven't been exposed to it. Akron isn't a very big city. I imagine cities like Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinatti have Indian restaurants and they are probably really good. Maybe one day.

I know I love saffron, turmeric, garlic, pepper, cumin...so halfway there, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom