Dish of the month (April): suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and what on earth did she expect the fish to taste of? Hershey´s chocolate????
I don't mean just the ordinary "fishy" taste, I mean it must have tasted borderline spoilt. You ever had bad fish before? No amount of lemon juice is going to make it right. You know when you are at the fishmonger and you can smell what to buy and what to avoid. I have the feeling her mother didn't know the difference.

When I make fish it doesn't have that smell/taste to me. I would spit it out if it did.

This is what I use online shopping for but I'm limited to only being able to receive stuff by AusPost or TNT. Everyone else (DHL included) won't deliver to my door. They abandon the parcel 16km away and expect me to drive to collect it during the opening hours of whatever garage they have an agreement with. Most annoyingly, they usually deliver it and don't tell you so you have no idea who or where they have abandoned it. If your mobile number is on the package, then the garage will ring you but only after a few day, if they remember. Now the road between me and there is being "upgraded" from a gravel road to a sealed road which means it gets closed for half an hour at a time whilst they do stuff... so not only will I waste over an hour to pay to have it abandoned 16km away but it will cost me more in fuel than I usually pay for delivery alone. Bit it's still cheaper than driving into the city unless hubby is working there like today.
With the price of petrol these days, I can only imagine!

Take a trip to Sharonville, OH, and you will find the Patel Brothers Indian Grocery. They´ve not only got garam masala, they`ve also got all the ingredients to make your own.

This is the recipe I used courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey. It's from the north of India. Place the following ingredients in a spice grinder or mortar and grind to a very fine powder: 1 tblsp black cardamom seeds, 50 mm stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp black cumin seeds, 1 tsp whole cloves, 1 tsp black peppercorns and a quarter of a nutmeg.

garammasala.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod.comment: Could members please stay in topic in this thread. There have been numerous posts about Indian spices which should be in another thread. Difficult to untangle them to move them at the moment.

I don´t understand why, because making risotto only involves rice, stock, and a vegetable or two. What it DOES require is attention, and that´s where Ramsay,who is a perfectionist, gets mad.

"Mushy" might be too strong an adjective. My tastes in rice lie more towards Indian basmati, Chinese fried rice, or sushi rice recipes. None of which require as much liquid to rice cooking ratio as does risotto.

That's okay. I can spend the month coming up with yogurt recipes instead...

"Mushy" might be too strong an adjective. My tastes in rice lie more towards Indian basmati, Chinese fried rice, or sushi rice recipes. None of which require as much liquid to rice cooking ratio as does risotto.

That's okay. I can spend the month coming up with yogurt recipes instead...
I love basmati, but it is so good I feel as if putting anything in it is a travesty. I like it pure and unadulterated as a side dish. Well, a bit of salt while cooking, but nothing else.

I love basmati, but it is so good I feel as if putting anything in it is a travesty. I like it pure and unadulterated as a side dish. Well, a bit of salt while cooking, but nothing else.
I essentially agree - but I also like it as it has been served in some Indian restaurants with a little saffron, or a little fenugreek leaves (methi) or curry leaves. Not enough to overpower, a little goes a LONG way.

Rice certainly works for me. But, is this supposed to be an ingredient thing, or a dish thing? Curry doesn't interest me. I'm cool with potato salad.

CD
Dish, not ingredient but a rice based dish such as risotto/pilaf/paella would also work.

Having stood the chilli dish out because it was just totally the wrong time of year here, it would be nice if a rice based dish was chosen. That works well for both spring and autumn, so both hemispheres. Potato salad really isn't a middle of autumn dish especially when it's being much colder than usual for me and much wetter than normal north of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom